Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.

IAP-325 performance based on iperf and 802.11ac mode enabling

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP-325 performance based on iperf and 802.11ac mode enabling

Posted Aug 07, 2018 01:23 AM
      |   view attached

Hi experts and airheads,

I'm having a couple of issues with IAP-325s in particularly performance. I was wondering if i could get some help or explanation to better understand the settings available.

I'm also reading "RF and Roaming Optimization for Aruba 802.11ac Networks" and trying to get as close as the recommended settings, so do let me know if there's another document that i should refer to.

first and foremost - performance

• i stumble upon the speed-test command, and quickly setup in the lab a single IAP-325 on a switch with a laptop and server running iperf3 (setup.png as attached depict the simple architecture). Single VLAN.
    • speed-test <server/laptop ip> tcp include-reverse bandwidth 1000 sec-to-measure 10 shows result of about 300Mbps to either server on LAN or laptop on WLAN.
    • have swapped all the cables to make sure, and put the laptop on LAN to make sure switch isn't the bottleneck (laptop to server on LAN can get to 900+Mbps).
    • Laptop showing 866Mbps (Win 7), NIC is 802.11ac capable but only SU-MIMO.
    • Only using a single Cat6 to enet0 on IAP-325.

Question: where can i look that may limit both LAN and WLAN?

The other issue i have is initially the IAP did not advertise 11ac to the client. I have a colleague telling me that I will need to force it to use channels 36E, 52E and 149E. I changed that and got it working. Just to recreate the problem I removed the customized channels and it stayed advertising 11ac with 80Mhz band.

Question: What do i actually need to do to get the IAP to advertise?

Follow up on my end: I'll try factory reset and/or get a new IAP to test and see if i can recreate the 11ac issue.

Thanks a bunch (for at least reading this far).