Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Multicast Testing Tool

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Multicast Testing Tool

Posted Jul 21, 2018 08:06 PM

Test Tools

MCastTester

I have finally found a multicast test tool that actually works. It is simple to use with no installation required, including on older machines (like the discarded laptops that always seems to end up in the lab).
    Try MCastTester from http://www.dqnetworks.ie/toolsinfo/mcasttest/

VLC
    VLC is often suggested as a test tool to generate and consume multicast content. Unfortunately however, I have always been a bit dubious of VLC because it sometimes doesn't work, and then you spend time troubleshooting VLC-related issues (eg underpowered devices, incompatible media, mismatched versions, etc). Once you have have done the initial setup and testing, and you have a working environment, VLC can provide immediate audio and/or visual feedback as consuming devices connect.

MCastTester Example

Configured as the transmitter:mcast-transmitter.png

Configured as the receiver:mcast-receiver.png

Wireshark capture:mcast-wireshark-traffic.png

Output from a ProCurve/AOSS switch:

bvcore01(config)# show ip igmp vlan 100

IGMP Service Protocol Info

Total VLANs with IGMP enabled                : 9
      Current count of multicast groups joined     : 6

IGMP Filter Unknown Multicast: Disabled
      IGMP Filter Unknown Multicast Status: Disabled

VLAN ID : 100
      VLAN Name : BV-Main
      IGMP version : 2
      Querier Address [this switch] : 172.20.100.1
      Querier Port :
      Querier UpTime : 86d 9h 49m 36s
      Querier Expiration Time : 0h 2m 5s

Active Group Addresses Type       Expires         Ports      Reports Queries
      ---------------------- ---------- --------------- ---------- ------- -------
      234.5.6.7              Filter     0h 2m 54s       F4         2       0

• 2.  RE: Multicast Testing Tool

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2018 07:15 AM

I recently did a multicast video poc with a partner using vlc and had lots of problem... but when I start doing it by using non Hpe coe laptop... it works like champ..I suspect it’s the problem with coe setting...

• 3.  RE: Multicast Testing Tool

Posted Jul 24, 2018 09:14 AM

I can see where that lack of complete access would cause problems - one of the reasons I have never had a COE machine and always built my own. When I was doing this testing, I had multiple laptops, OS versions, brands, partners builds, etc.

I generally found that once the solution was tested and working OK with the MCastTest tool, then VLC would often work. However, there were a few systems that it just didn't like - mainly older ones that may have had resourcing issues.