Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal on MM-MD environment in AOS8

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal on MM-MD environment in AOS8

Posted Jun 12, 2018 11:24 AM

I built an vMM - MD environment under AOS8. 

Topology:

2x vMM in cluster, mgmt interfaces in vlan_A, has a vrrp IP in vlan_A.

2x MD (7030) in cluster, mgmt interfaces in vlan_B, has a vrrp IP address in vlan_B.

APs mgmt vlan is vlan_B

Corporate client network is in vlan_C, the gw is the core switch, dhcp server is the DC.

I would like to deploy a guest network that using Captive Portal. I read the CP is running on MM in a MM-MD environment. 

Guest client network will be in vlan_D, the gw and the dhcp server is a WG.

On the MM GUI I added the WLAN with CP by a task, and tested it. I can connect, but no CP page is displayed.

I realized that it would be necessary to give an IP to the MM so that clients could access the CP. The question is, should I create a vrrp address in the guest network as well as in the mgmt network?

If I connect MMs and/or MDs into another subnet, will they route between these networks? (I do not want this)

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal on MM-MD environment in AOS8

Posted Jun 12, 2018 01:19 PM
    The Captive portal needs to be configure under your Manage Network (not the MM) you can’t terminate Aps on the MM

Make sure the VLAN(s) are configure under your MDs and each controller will need an IP for that guest VLAN for the redirect to work

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal on MM-MD environment in AOS8

Posted Jun 12, 2018 06:04 PM

I read this at aos 8.3.0.0 configuration guide:

Mobility Master-Managed Device deployment model

Mobility Master is the root of a network hierarchy. A single Mobility Master oversees a number of managed devices that can be co-located or off-campus. In Mobility Master-Managed Device deployment model, all Captive Portal configuration is allowed only on the Mobility Master.

Maybe I misunderstood this, so I need to configure CP on MM, but it will run on MDs, am I rigth?

The 2 MDs need a vlan interface at vlan_D, thats rigth (2 IP adresses). But am I need a vrrp IP also in vlan_D, or not?

And what about the inter-vlan routing question?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal on MM-MD environment in AOS8
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 12, 2018 06:33 PM

Maybe I misunderstood this, so I need to configure CP on MM, but it will run on MDs, am I rigth?

You need to configure the CP under the manage network not the MM

The 2 MDs need a vlan interface at vlan_D, thats rigth (2 IP adresses). But am I need a vrrp IP also in vlan_D, or not?

No VRRP for the guest VLAN

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal on MM-MD environment in AOS8

Posted Jun 12, 2018 10:48 PM

Yes the captive portal would be configured under the managed network and will run on all controllers under the MN. VRRP only need if using the VRRP as the gateway of users if correct....

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal on MM-MD environment in AOS8

Posted Jun 14, 2018 04:25 AM

I configured it yesterday, CP works since then.

Should I worry about the inter-vlan routing, if any packet is arrive to that interface, what the MDs have in vlan_D, will MD route it? 

(This is not related to captive portals, but I'm interested.)

Thanks!