Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can an AP-305 join a virtual controller?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Can an AP-305 join a virtual controller?

Posted May 16, 2018 06:12 AM

Our company recently bought a couple of AP-305 access points. Here lies a problem as we don't have a mobility controller. In various documentation there's mentioned an AP can however be turned into a IAP model at first boot when it cannot find a mobility controller. As I understand it upgrades its firmware to work in controllerless mode when it finds a virtual controller in the same LAN.

Did I understand this correctly? If so, should this work with an IAP-205 which is in virtual controller mode? As far as I tried this morning, the AP-305 doesn't show up in de WebGUI of the 205. And looking at a trace I made, I don't see the 305 trying to connect to the virtual controller IP. It just shows it's sending out ADP broadcasts and multicasts and does DNS lookups for aruba-master.

Can someone share some light on this matter?

Thank you,

Alexander

• 2.  RE: Can an AP-305 join a virtual controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 09:39 AM
    Unfortunately an AP-305 cannot join an Instant Cluster.

• 3.  RE: Can an AP-305 join a virtual controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 09:56 AM

The misunderstanding is that while an IAP-305 can be converted from Instant to controller based, the AP-305 can not be converted from controller based to Instant. To have the 305 going the Instant virtual controller, it needs to originally be an IAP-305.

If that is the functionality you needed, it sounds like you'll need to exchange the AP-305s for IAP-305s through your reseller.