Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

[controllers] The (lack of) need for PEF if you have another firewall

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  [controllers] The (lack of) need for PEF if you have another firewall

Posted Oct 07, 2020 07:52 PM

Hi everyone,

As regulars here will know I am in the process of upgrading our companies wireless setup.

At the moment we have a single controller with AP and PEF licenses.

However as far as I can tell we aren't actually doing anything meaningful with our ability to set policies on the controller which left me wondering, what added value does PEF offer us over the enterprise firewall that the user traffic anyhow has to pass through?

• 2.  RE: [controllers] The (lack of) need for PEF if you have another firewall
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 07, 2020 09:43 PM

Are you doing anything with user roles or DPI and application filtering/monitoring? One of the biggest value adds with PEF is the ability to make customizable tiles to manage access. If your just using the default roles on the controllers you are not using it, but you may in the future.

• 3.  RE: [controllers] The (lack of) need for PEF if you have another firewall

Posted Oct 07, 2020 10:36 PM

@Keeper of the Keys wrote:

Hi everyone,

As regulars here will know I am in the process of upgrading our companies wireless setup.

At the moment we have a single controller with AP and PEF licenses.

However as far as I can tell we aren't actually doing anything meaningful with our ability to set policies on the controller which left me wondering, what added value does PEF offer us over the enterprise firewall that the user traffic anyhow has to pass through?

I think this sums it up:

"It no longer has to choose between a solid network experience and solid security"  https://www.arubanetworks.com/v/#v=launch/Aruba_AppRF_960x540.mov&width=960&height=540&t=Aruba%20AppRF:%20How%20It%20Works

Policy Enforcement Firewall Product Page:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/security/policy-enforcement-firewall/

• 4.  RE: [controllers] The (lack of) need for PEF if you have another firewall

Posted Oct 08, 2020 02:11 AM

I guess in our current setup we're not leveraging PEF in a meaningful way, maybe we will in the future maybe not but of course transferring the licenses to allow us does make sense.