Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Confirming clustering feature versus LMS/backup-LMS

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Confirming clustering feature versus LMS/backup-LMS

Posted Sep 27, 2018 01:55 PM

Hello, I'm hoping to just gain clarification on the optimal design in Aruba OS 8 in this non "best practices" physical architecture. There are three separate university campuses, each with a single hardware 7xxx controller. There is also a virtual mobility master.

Is there an advantage here to cluster these physically separate controllers, or should we simply rely on LMS/backup-LMS config in the AP Groups? The controllers are not layer 2 adjacent, and we definitely want the APs to terminate on the local controller unless there is a failure.

So I believe creating three separate AP groups for the three sites and specifying the LMS/backup LMS is sufficient for this requirement.

The main point I'm asking is: would creating a layer 3 cluster significantly reduce failover time, or provide another benefit I'm not understanding? I don't want a clustering mechanism to kick in that would have APs terminating on the wrong controller, and so the AP Group basic LMS/backup LMS keeps things more static and controlled, from my understanding.

This my first ArubaOS8 deployment, so just trying to confirm that I'm not missing anything, thanks!

• 2.  RE: Confirming clustering feature versus LMS/backup-LMS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2018 02:07 PM
    Clustering is only for controllers that share all client layer two vlans, period. If you have controllers at two different sites that do not share the same layer 2 client vlans, you should use LMS IP and backup LMS-ip. The strength of clustering is the ability to share client state amongst redundant controllers which makes AP failover almost "hitless" from the client perspective. If the client has to change ip addresses upon failover, there is no purpose for clustering because client state cannot be preserved if client IP addressing needs to change upon failover. Backup LMS IP should be used in that circumstance.

I hope that makes sense.