Wired

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the Aruba Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of the ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile first solution.
Expand all | Collapse all

Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 29, 2018 09:25 AM
    Hi everyone,

Please can you clear me up the difference between Comware, ProCurve and ProVision switches and how are related to Aruba switches?

Regards,
    Julián

• 2.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2018 09:44 AM

Comware and ProVision are (Network Switch) operating systems brand names.

Comware (5 and 7) is actually used on Data Center - and some Access too - oriented H3C/HPE FlexNetwork switches (and on some old 3Com Switch too) .

HP ProVision was the NOS name of OS running int Switch of almost all HP ProCurve marketing brand/networking division.

HP ProCurve (see above).

Actually the Aruba ArubaOS-Switch NOS is the (re)branded name of HP ProVision NOS...so those campus/access HP ProCurve switch not EoL actually (re)branded into Aruba are now running the ArubaOS-Switch.

ArubaOS-CX is instead the new - from scratch - NOS used on platforms like Aruba 8400X and 8320 (Campus Core).

• 3.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi Parnassus,

Thanks very much for your interest. Then I understand Aruba switches run ProVision OS (except ArubaOS-CX which I am clear they are designed by Aruba from scratch). Just run ProVision OS or does Aruba have made some improvement into that ProVision OS?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:32 AM

Actually marketed Aruba switch series - Aruba 8000 switch series excluded - so Aruba 2530, 2540, 2920, 2930F, 2930M, 3810M and 5400R zl2...run on ArubaOS-Switch which, as said, is the rebranded name of well known HP ProVision OS (HP ProVision is also the name of the various ASIC generations - now ProVision 6th generation is the current one - still used on those switches these days).

With ArubaOS-Switch (being the rename of ProVision OS), Aruba started with the legacy features provided by ProVision OS and enhanced them under continuous development.

• 5.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:42 AM
    Hi,

So I understand it is something like:

ArubaOS-Switch = ProVisionOS + enhancements.

Regards,
    Julián

• 6.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 30, 2018 11:08 AM
    Just to somewhat clarify, there are significant core feature enhancements. It was not just a rebrand.

• 7.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Dec 18, 2018 06:43 PM

I think we can try this summary in order to give us an idea of what is an Switch OS Name and what is a "Switches Portfolio" name:

OS - Switch Portfolio Name (Product Line) - Brand Name
    CatOS - Catalyst - Cisco
    IOS - Catalyst - Cisco
    NX-OS - Nexus - Cisco
    VRP - S Series/Cloud Engine - Huawei
    Comware - FlexNetwork/FlexFabric - 3Com/H3C
    Provision - Procurve - HP (rebranded to ArubaOS for switches)
    ArubaOS - Aruba Switches - HPE
    ArubaOS-CX - Aruba Switches - HPE

It is just an analogy to what happens with other vendors.

Regards

• 8.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Sep 20, 2019 09:39 AM
      |   view attached

Yes, this attachment is for others who are converting/transitioning from hpe provision to arubaos-cx.

After discussing, reading, and searching, you-tubing, and complaining, I found the attached command compare document.

CLI:  AOS-CS versus AOS-switch(hpe provision) versus Cisco

Attachment(s)