Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can a regular controller based access point be configured to use IPSEC tunnel to the controller?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can a regular controller based access point be configured to use IPSEC tunnel to the controller?

Posted Nov 29, 2018 02:51 PM

I have been asked if I can put access points in a process control network which requires IPec tunnels only no GRE. It was my understanding that only RAPS could do this which limited to only a few models. If not why are RAPS marketed if they are not needed to deploy an AP as a RAP?

• 2.  RE: Can a regular controller based access point be configured to use IPSEC tunnel to the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 03:23 PM

You can deploy ANY access point as a RAP.

• 3.  RE: Can a regular controller based access point be configured to use IPSEC tunnel to the controller?

Posted Nov 29, 2018 03:57 PM

What was the purpose of marketing models of RAPS like the RAP-3 or RAP-5. What do those offer which is different?

• 4.  RE: Can a regular controller based access point be configured to use IPSEC tunnel to the controller?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 04:07 PM
    The form factor and design was just designed for a remote access use case.

• 5.  RE: Can a regular controller based access point be configured to use IPSEC tunnel to the controller?

Posted Nov 29, 2018 07:48 PM

I agree with the guys that have posted. If you need full IPSEC to the AP and not just control traffic run the APs as RAPs. Keep in mind the APs have a speed limit for IPSec throughput such as the 225 are 100Mbps, i think 320 Mbps, 203h 20Mbps, and 303h 100Mbps. We are currently re-doing our controller that manages RAPs in employees homes and are opting for 303h since the RAPs are mainly for the network engineering team and we use them as a backup link over the internet for over 50 sites.

• 6.  RE: Can a regular controller based access point be configured to use IPSEC tunnel to the controller?

Posted Dec 07, 2018 09:56 AM

Thanks for pointing that out regarding the bandwidth limit I knew about that. These will be installed at remote locations where the wan connection is only a DS3. Thanks for the the reminder I kind of forgot about it.