Wired

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the Aruba Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of the ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile first solution.
Expand all | Collapse all

User authorization on AOS-switches: default or role-based approach?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  User authorization on AOS-switches: default or role-based approach?

Posted Apr 26, 2019 04:56 PM

Hi community,

When authenticating users on AOS-switches there are two approaches:

1. Default: the RADIUS server such as ClearPass has settings such as VLAN assignments and ACLs configured on it as RADIUS standard attributes or vendor-specific VSAs. When a user successfully authenticates, ClearPass sends these attributes in the Access-Accept message to the switch, and the switch then applies them.
    2. Role-based authorization: the RADIUS server can simply send the switch the name of the user’s role in the Access-Accept message. The role name matches a role configured on the switch, and this role defines settings such as VLAN assignment, ACL, rate limit, and QoS priority, which the switch then applies to the user session.

If I am not going to use per-user tunneled-node, which imposes the switch to use role-based authorization, which approach shall I use? Which one is better? What are the upsides and downsides of each one?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: User authorization on AOS-switches: default or role-based approach?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 26, 2019 05:32 PM

Role based is almost always recommended, you do not need to do user-based tunneling to use user roles.  We've added many attributes to user roles as well in ArubaOS-Switch 16.08.  It's much easier to pass a user role back than multiple VSAs.

User roles can contain:

QoS/ACL Policy

Rate Limits

PoE settings

Port-mode (for APs)

VLAN Assignment

Reauth timers

However, either way will work.

Link to User role section in the Access Security Guide.

http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/Aruba/16.08/5200-5488/index.html#Local_User_Roles.html

Justin

• 3.  RE: User authorization on AOS-switches: default or role-based approach?

Posted Apr 26, 2019 07:19 PM
    Validated designs and testing on the policy side are only done using user roles.

• 4.  RE: User authorization on AOS-switches: default or role-based approach?

Posted Apr 29, 2019 09:46 AM
    Hi,

And I guess it's simpler to use DUR configured once and centralized on CPPM than configure the same roles distributed on every switch... Am I right?

Regards,
    Julián