Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

V8 Virtual controller platforms

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  V8 Virtual controller platforms

Posted Jun 20, 2019 07:27 AM

hello Airheads,

i have a customer who would like to know whether there are any plans to have the Azure cloud platform supprted for HPE\Aruba V8  VMC (Virtual mobility controller)?

CHEERS

PETE

• 2.  RE: V8 Virtual controller platforms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2019 09:41 AM

Not currently that I am aware of, there's little value in a VMC in the cloud, as the virtual controllers would terminate tunnels from the APs into the cloud, which means all user traffic would have to transit your cloud infrastructure, which would get costly in terms of bandwidth. Smaller use cases for things like RAP are more viable, but right now there has not been any near term plans that I have seen to put the VMC into Azure.

What is your use case?

• 3.  RE: V8 Virtual controller platforms

Posted Jun 20, 2019 10:50 AM

hi Jerod,

thanks for getting back.

The use case is customer has 60 rap2 users working from home.

terminating on 2 x 3600 controllers in their data centre.

The users have a corporate ssid broadcast from their RAP's which gives them access to corporate resources @ head office.

As they use Azure and are finding traffic is going out to the cloud more and more they wanted to avoid a "tromboning" effect of traffic flows.

Hence the question about Azure.

cheers

pete

• 4.  RE: V8 Virtual controller platforms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2019 05:25 PM

Ah, fair point. I think though you're just trading tromboning through the DC to tromboning through the cloud service. You might check out some of the Central SDBranch products (I'm not super familiar), maybe reach out to your local Aruba Rep for an architecture discussion.