Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

• 1.  Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

Posted Apr 12, 2020 05:17 PM

HI All,

I have some Question related to mixing Aruba controller as a hardware appliance and virtual appliance 
    i have a standalone 7240 Aruba controller as hardware appliance, Can i use a virtual mobility controller as a backup for it to resolve the single point of failure Issue and cost issue?
    I know i can't use controller clustering between them , can i use VRRP instead between them and it will work? and if not

is there any other solution that will give the same function?

• 2.  RE: Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

Posted Apr 12, 2020 05:26 PM

Correct. No clustering and you can use VRRP. The virtual appliances have limitations, but you can look these up on Arubas site here :

https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/gateways-and-controllers/virtual-appliance/

• 3.  RE: Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

Posted Apr 12, 2020 06:03 PM

So, the virtual appliance switch role will be Standalone also right?
    and the VRRP provide the same function as controller clustering? 
    functions like fast fail-over time and redundancy?

• 4.  RE: Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

Posted Apr 12, 2020 06:18 PM

You can configure fast failover with the HA parameters, and VRRP. You would deploy the VMC in standalone mode. VRRP does not give the same advantages of clustering. Clustering includes many more features like Client/AP automatic load balancing, hitless upgrades/failover, etc...

• 5.  RE: Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

Posted Apr 12, 2020 06:28 PM

last Question
    about licenses , do i need to buy new licenses to the to new VMC or it HMC can share its licenses with the VMC ? what licenses do i need in general?

• 6.  RE: Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

Posted Apr 12, 2020 08:06 PM

Yes. Centralized licensing can take care of sharing the licenses with the VMC.

See this link for AOS8 Centralized licensing: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_801_Web_Help/Content/LicenseGuide/Multi__Network.htm

• 7.  RE: Mixing between Aruba controllers as hardware and virtual appliances

Posted Apr 13, 2020 11:53 PM

When a controller is operating in Standalone mode it functions as a single device where management is performed and also as the termination point for all of the APs. In Standalone mode, this is the only configuration with AOS 8 where the APs communicate with the management device.

In a standalone VRRP configuration, centralized licensing will synchronize between the two VRRP machines. I'm not sure if you can do VRRP between a physical controller and a virtual controller. However, if you can, the AP/PEF/RFP licenses should synchronize, but you may need a MC-VA-xxx-xx license for the VMC. Hopefully someone else can verify this information for you.

I hope this helps,