Wireless Access

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Optimum heights for APs

• 1.  Optimum heights for APs

Posted Apr 22, 2020 01:02 AM

I was wondering what is the optimum height for AP-325 mounted outdoor protected in a box mounted on a wall or pole?  What would the realistic distance reach?

What is the minimum height, optimum height for AP-275 and AP-375? Also maximum height before needing to down tilt?  What would be the realistic distance reach?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Optimum heights for APs

Posted Apr 22, 2020 03:26 AM

It's not recommended, unless there is absolutely no other possibility, to mount indoor APs in enclosures outdoor. Please use the outdoor APs for that as they are designed for outdoor operations, wider temperature and humidity ranges. You are unlikely to achieve that protection and reliability with an enclosure.

I've seen outdoor AP-275/375 mounted from 3m (10ft) up to 20m (60ft) above the ground. Range depends on the height (line-of-sight), your locations (regulatory domain), selected channel and it's power level, devices used and the required throughput. You can use the Aruba Outdoor Planner, or Visual RF in Central or Airwave to create a predictive RF planning.

As the cost of deploying outdoor APs is high, cabling, pole mounting, service lifts, I would invest in proper advanced planning/simulation with an on-site inspection of the environment. You'd better to it right the first time.

• 3.  RE: Optimum heights for APs

Posted Apr 22, 2020 12:55 PM

Got it.  Thank you!