Wireless Access

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Selecting AP channels for 2.4GHz

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Selecting AP channels for 2.4GHz

Posted Dec 11, 2019 04:29 PM

I've heard that we need to lock down channels for Aeroscout tags. Currently it seems that we have somewhat even distribution over channels 1, 6 and 11 but where do I configure these? So that I could be sure that these would be the only channels that are being used everywhere?

Thanks!

Edit: so OK right after this I went to AP groups and under Radio there is option for Valid Channels, is this the correct place?

• 2.  RE: Selecting AP channels for 2.4GHz

Posted Dec 11, 2019 05:34 PM

The regulatory domain profile says what channels can be selected by automated channel assignment (ARM/Airmatch)

• 3.  RE: Selecting AP channels for 2.4GHz

Posted Dec 11, 2019 05:46 PM

It does, but in this case I've heard we need to manually set APs so that they don't for example use channel 2 anywhere. But I guess the AP group setting is for that

• 4.  RE: Selecting AP channels for 2.4GHz

Posted Dec 11, 2019 07:02 PM

The regulatory domain profile by default has channel 2 excluded, so it would never choose that channel.  That is the facts.

• 5.  RE: Selecting AP channels for 2.4GHz
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 12, 2019 03:44 AM

I think you need to lock down the power rather than the channels, but please verify.

Please be advised that having dynamic channel and power assignment is a good thing in general and if you want to set static channel and/or power you should go through a site survey (please have that done by a professional WLAN engineer that is experienced in site-surveys and radio planning), or as 'cheap' alternative let ARM/AirMatch run for some time in production with clients on the network and copy the channels and power per AP from there.

When you have the channels and power you can if you have few APs use AP-specific settings for power and channel (in ArubaOS 8.X that is CLI only!), or create an AP group per channel&power combination and assign the APs to those AP groups. As you can see, if you just need to configure power and can let the channel be selected, you need less configuration and keep the ability for ARM/AirMatch to avoid interference in your environment.