Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

Posted Dec 08, 2016 03:33 PM

As the subject stated. 

We just recently took over management of our building from someone else. They have the w-3600 in place and noticed that it's still running an older version 6.1.3.9 on the AOS. That box no longer has support contract on it. 

We do have a dell branded aruba controller w-3200 that's still has a current support with DELL. It's currently running the latest firmware 6.4.4.10.

My questions are:

1. Is it still possible to download the latest firmware on the non-support contract aruba from anywhere? If you have one downloaded maybe you don't mind sharing that with me in this holiday season? :)

Anything newer than 6.1, I think would be awesome. Please DM.  

2. Is it possible to use the DELL firmware on the aruba one since they are the same product anyway?

We are having issues with the revoked certificate on the captive portal of the 3600. I will open another question for help with installing the wild-card certificate on it. 

Any tips would be appreciated. 

Thank you all. 

• 2.  RE: What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

Posted Dec 09, 2016 06:21 AM

Hi,

You will need to download the software from the Dell site I believe. 

Linky.

The Dell controller firmware is pretty much in line with the ArubaOS by the look of it. 6.5.x being the latest.

Be sure to read the release notes regarding how to update as an interim update may be required prior to upgrading to the latest version .

Cheers

James

• 3.  RE: What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

Posted Dec 09, 2016 10:11 AM

Thank you for the respond.

Are you saying I can use the DELL branded aruba firmware on the Aruba controller and it should work fine?

Again, I have two controllers. 

Aruba W-3600 - no current support and old firmware

Dell Aruba W-3200 - current support and latest firmware

I'd like to update the Aruba W-3600 to the latest firmware. 

Hope that make sense. :)

• 4.  RE: What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2016 10:17 AM

To be clear, using Dell-Branded software on Aruba hardware is unsupported.  What that means is that loading it on an Aruba controller has worked in the past, but there are quite a few undesirable side effects that we do not document, because we do not test it.  At any time, it can also be coded to refuse to run on the different hardware without notice.

Since you have hardware that is out of warranty, you are welcome to try, but you have been warned...

• 5.  RE: What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

Posted Dec 09, 2016 10:45 AM

Thank you for the warning. 

Yes, that's the reason my subject is wanting to know if there's an option for me to get the aruba os and not the dell branded os on a controller that's already End Of Sale or EOL = "OLD". 

I totally understand that there will be no aruba support that comes with it but at least it's compatible with the hardware. I will take that risk better than having the dell arubaos and have hardware issue later. 

Just want both controllers to be in sync for configuration purposes.

So all I want for Christmas is ArubaOS 6.4.4.10. :)

Can anyone help? 

• 6.  RE: What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 08:03 PM

Anyone?

No one?

Could help me? :(

How about this?

Is the license transferable? I'm thinking about transferring the license from Aruba 3600 to Dell w3200. 

Is that possible to do?

As plan B, I'm thinking about decommissioning the Aruba and keep the DELL since it still has current support. 

Will this work guys?

Thank you. 

• 7.  RE: What's my option to download the latest firmware version of Aruba W-3600?

Posted Apr 08, 2020 11:20 AM

Looking for help with something else, and came across this. I'm sure you've got this sorted now, but for anyone else wondering, the licenses are not transferable. We have a customer on Dell controller, and to upgrade them/move them to Aruba OS, we need to backup the Dell config, wipe the controller, and fresh install with AOS (same revision), apply Aruba licenses, then upgrade to latest code.