Wireless Access

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading mesh points/portals to Mobility Master 8.x

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Upgrading mesh points/portals to Mobility Master 8.x

Posted Mar 22, 2020 02:15 PM

We in the process of moving our Aruba wireless infrastructure to AOS 8.x with Mobility Masters. So far I have moved over 200 APs to the new environment.

My question to the community is what is the best way to move/migrate mesh points/portals to the new environment?

I have three (3) different mesh clusters, each with a handful of APs.

Most of the mesh points are 203R or 315 APs with the portals been outdoor rated 365 APs.

Appreciate your help.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading mesh points/portals to Mobility Master 8.x
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 22, 2020 02:18 PM

• 3.  RE: Upgrading mesh points/portals to Mobility Master 8.x

Posted Mar 26, 2020 09:55 AM

Eperez, the MAIN thing is that when you build the AOS 8 config, specific to the mesh groups, that you copy the mesh cluster name (which is the mesh SSID) and the mesh PSK (assuming/hoping you use WPA2-PSK). If you don't remember the PSK, you can log in to the master or controller as admin, run 'encrypt disable' and 'show ap mesh-cluster-profile <clustername>' to see the PSK

(7005-1) #show ap mesh-cluster-profile 387PtP

Mesh Cluster profile "387PtP"
    -----------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Cluster Name 387PtP
    RF Band a
    WPA Hexkey N/A
    WPA Passphrase Aruba1234!
    Encryption wpa2-psk-aes
    (7005-1) #

Then recreate that exactly (case, syntax, etc). When the portals load the new code on reboot, they will get the same config, mesh cluster name, and key. That will allow the points to then come up over the L2 mesh link to get new code. 

Then, as a precaution and to ensure all mesh APs get the new mesh recovery profile, re-provision all mesh APs to push the new recovery profile.