Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How many APs are needed to cover this courtyard?

• 1.  How many APs are needed to cover this courtyard?

Posted Apr 27, 2020 02:49 AM

Quick question, approximately how many APs (assuming AP-275) is needed to provide wireless coverage in this inner courtyard area with 200 devices assuming 2Mbps per device?  Where should these APs be placed? Currently there is one AP-275 in the corner.  There are other AP-215 throughout the indoor of the buildings

Users are not able to connect once it gets to certain level.  Is AP-275 the best choice in this scenario?

Courtyard.png

• 2.  RE: How many APs are needed to cover this courtyard?

Posted Apr 27, 2020 12:37 PM

There are many questions that need to be answered in order to provide an answer more meaningful than "it depends". 

Firstly, and AP-275 is capable of covering an area large than 125ft, but it could be mounted sub-optimally or have other configuration related items that are affecting the performance. Likewise, client device capabilities will play a huge role in the available performance and needs to be understood.

This may be best addressed with a TAC case in order to capture all the information on the deployment and current coverage. If this is an urgent issue, I encourage getting a case going with them in parallel to discussions here.

Starting with some basics, what version of AOS is the Ap-275 running? Is it controller based, or running as an Instant cluster? What type of SSID are users attempting to connect to, and how many total SSIDs are there on the AP? 

You mention users have problems connecting when the (signal) reaches a certain level. If 200 devices are in a location where they can all connect, are you able to reach the desired bandwidth threshold? How are you testing those bandwidth requirements?

Finally, what kind(s) of device(s) are connecting to the AP-275? Do you know their wireless capabilities? 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax ... Wifi5/Wifi6/etc?

• 3.  RE: How many APs are needed to cover this courtyard?

Posted Apr 28, 2020 04:20 AM

The AP-275 is mounted approximately at 10 feet high on 1st floor of 2 floors building.  It's currently on instant virtual controller.  One small part of the building's APs are on on mobility controller.  The rest is on instant virtual controller.  Users are trying to connect to the Employee SSID. There are five SSIDs on the APs.

Assuming

Laptop – 802.11ac 3x3:3 – Web Email (2 Mbps) - per device

Smartphone – 802.11ac 2x2:2 – Web Email (2 Mbps) – per device

Approximately how many devices can one AP-275 support assuming the above?

• 4.  RE: How many APs are needed to cover this courtyard?

Posted Apr 28, 2020 05:41 AM

Did you increase the Max Clients threshold under the advanced settings? By default, an AP will only accept 64 associations, which I think is per SSID per AP. So with a single AP, I would expect client 65 to be denied.

Then if you really want 200 concurrent clients, I would not expect optimal performance with a single AP. There is a reason for that value of 64. The AP could handle it, but the overhead of all clients sharing the same radio channel will limit the experienced performance. For an open space, you could get 3 APs each with its own 2.4GHz channel, and for high-density I've seen numbers that you should try to stay below 100 concurrent clients per AP. Just as a wild guess, as mentioned before it makes sense to have a professional look at it, putting APs in the corners and then 3 (or 4 if you can, 2 if you can't do 3) may make sense at first glance. But the signal from inside coverage needs to be accounted for as well and may affect what is optimal.