Wired

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the Aruba Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of the ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile first solution.
Expand all | Collapse all

Speed and duplex in SFP port

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Speed and duplex in SFP port

Posted Mar 08, 2020 07:33 PM

Switch: 2930F SFP PoE+ (JL261A)

Module:1000T-sfp (J8177D)

AOS:WC.16.10.0005

Hi, two days ago I was configuring a 2930F SFP uplink interface and had to force it to 100 Mbps and auto duplex. I located a 1 Gbps port for testing, but when I tried to reset the speed/duplex settings for the 2930's SFP interface I received a message that said that such settings couldn't be configured on this port.

I tried disabling the port to try changin to full auto setting or forced 1000, but it didn't work. I tried with one of the 1-24 interfaces and the command was accepted without problem.

Finally, out of nowhere I tried again AFTER removing the J8177D module and, finally, I was able to change speed/duplex settings for the interface.

Is this a normal and expected behaviour for SFP and/or SFP+/28/56 interfaces?

Thanks in advance.

#2930F

• 2.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port

Posted Mar 08, 2020 10:54 PM

Oh, but I did it:

sixonetwo_1-1583722443331.png

• 3.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 09, 2020 02:05 PM

Greetings!

As noted in the AOS-Switch and AOS-CX Transceiver Guide, page 61:

J8177C/J8177D support both 100Mbps and 1G operation in this Switch Series.

However, changing speed settings in an SFP/SFP+ port is not supported while a transceiver is installed and operating. 

• 4.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port

Posted Mar 09, 2020 02:09 PM

Thank you, then the right action to do if a speed/duplex change is requiered is to first remove the SFP, make the change, and plug it back.

• 5.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port

Posted Mar 09, 2020 02:14 PM

Correct, but note that this only applies to the J8177C/D RJ45 transceivers, as they are the only supported transceiver that is capable of operating at multiple speeds (all supported optical transceivers operate only at a single speed).