Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Aruba Instant Wi-Fi: Meet the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set-up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget.
Expand all | Collapse all

Standing up another IAP network for testing

• 1.  Standing up another IAP network for testing

Posted Apr 29, 2020 11:23 AM

We are running an IAP 305 cluster managed by Airwave. The APs themselves are configured with a DHCP address which is managed by a switch. I need to move the APs to a Windows DHCP scope and new VLAN. 

I had opened a support case previously but lost my notes for that case. I think I just need to change the switch ports the APs are attached to to the new VLAN and reboot them and then they will pickup a new IP.

I would like to test this by standing up a new wireless network with a couple Aruba spare IAPs in a new cluster and a new SSID. This would use the new DHCP scope as well. Would this interfere with our current wireless network? 

Could someone confirm whether the way to change the IPs is correct as well?

• 2.  RE: Standing up another IAP network for testing

Posted Apr 29, 2020 11:30 AM

If you are running another network in parallel (e.g different IP addressing) then you will need to make sure things like routing, VC ip addressing, NAS IPs etc are all updated as well and do not cause conflict.

Depending on how physically close these SSIDs (if using the same name) are to each other, is there likely to be a case of the clients roaming between the IAP clusters?

Also, do you have any IDS protections configured which may potentially see the adjacent network and mark it as rogue?

You do indeed need to either change the VLAN on the switch port (if changing VLANs) of the IAPs and most certainly change the DHCP addressing.

• 3.  RE: Standing up another IAP network for testing

Posted Apr 29, 2020 03:31 PM

Thank you, Craig. I am planning on using a new SSID, so the clients should not roam. We do not have IDS configured for blocking anything. 

So I think when I am ready to make the actual change, after the switch changes, I would just change the Virtual Controller IP. Is that all I would need to change, and then the APs in the cluster would just autoconnect to the Master with the new IP? 

• 4.  RE: Standing up another IAP network for testing

Posted Apr 30, 2020 03:34 AM

Yes, it is probably worth removing the VC IP, rebooting the IAPs to obtain the new DHCP addressing, login to the Master IAP and add the VC IP address.

This is the simplest answer, there maybe additional items in your configuration which may require changing as well.