Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave 8.2.9 and 8.2.10 Virtual Machine Requirement

This thread has been viewed 39 times
  • 1.  AirWave 8.2.9 and 8.2.10 Virtual Machine Requirement

Posted Nov 18, 2019 04:05 AM

Hi Experts,

I am looking for virtual machine sizing for AirWave. In my network, there are 2xAruba-7030 Controller, 2xClearpas C1000 and 35xAruba AP-345.

Can somebody help me with the virtual machine requirement for the above network?
    I have also found many sizing guides and collected some details but I need some document reference or some more clarity to instruct my server team for virtual machine allocation.

VM-Sizing Guide 8.2.9.JPGMy assumptions for the VM requirements are as below
    RAM – 8 GB
    vCPU – 4
    Hard Disk – 250 GB

I'm not an expert on virtual machines and it would be great if you guys can help me with the above.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: AirWave 8.2.9 and 8.2.10 Virtual Machine Requirement

Posted Nov 18, 2019 06:17 AM

For your relatively small sizing, and without knowing the type of environment this is being deployed in, I would normally scope for somewhere around the following:

CPU: 4 vCPU

RAM: 12 GB

HDD: 400 GB

The AirWave application likes RAM and all of the resource needs tend to grow over time.  Even with a smaller site as yours appears, 8GB would be resource constrained, and 250GB of disk space could fill up though with some records retention settings may be tweaked to accommodate.  As the guides indicate, if you have a lot of new/unique client devices in your environment then you need to scale upward.  The system performance tab is your friend in evaluating the health of the system - I usually check back in a few months after installation to see if RAM, CPU, HDD is meeting the needs of AW.

ClearPass doesn't add to the requirements much, but you will want to take advantage of the Endpoint Context Server function that CPPM and AW can utilize together.  This allows you to jump into AW for the device directly from the Access Tracker within CPPM for a wonderfully seamless troubleshooting workflow.  Here is an older link to this feature: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/ClearPass-Tips-and-Tricks-AirWave-Diagnostic-Link/td-p/226319

In case you need to upgrade AW to 8.2.10.x, here is a post I made to help explain the process: in short, if upgrading from a previous release you will most likely need to reinstall AW from scratch and copy over an upgraded backup file.

Good luck!

• 3.  RE: AirWave 8.2.9 and 8.2.10 Virtual Machine Requirement

Posted Nov 18, 2019 07:21 AM

Thanks ryh,

will check on the same.

• 4.  RE: AirWave 8.2.9 and 8.2.10 Virtual Machine Requirement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2019 08:08 AM

For VM envorinment to montior your current network devices count, below resource needed to be allocated

RAM - 16GB

CPU -6  Physical Cores Intel Xenon

Hard disk: 400GB

• 5.  RE: AirWave 8.2.9 and 8.2.10 Virtual Machine Requirement

Posted Nov 19, 2019 09:28 AM

Thanks for the response