Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS 6.4 Cluster Upgrade and AP-61

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS 6.4 Cluster Upgrade and AP-61

Posted Nov 23, 2015 01:08 PM
    Dear All, I have a VRRP clustered infrastructure with 3 Aruba 650 controllers managing APs AP-61 and AP-93. To keep our AP-61 infrastructure working my ArubaOS is 6.3.1.19. The problem is that the infrastructure grown and I bought some new 103 APs. This new AP model has known limitations with AOS 6.3, the same way that AP-61 has limitation with any AOS above it. Is there an easy way to separate one controller from my cluster and maintain it's AOS 6.3 to keep mananing AP-61 without having to erase 61's configuration and start from the scratch? Will I lose connection with those APs if I force them to a specific slave and then turn this slave into a master of a new cluster properly configured? Thank you

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS 6.4 Cluster Upgrade and AP-61
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 23, 2015 01:32 PM

Yes you can.

Since all your local controllers have a copy of the config from the master you could detach one of those and make it a Master (This will require a reboot) , no need to create the config from scratch

But need to make sure of the following:

- if you have any internal guest accounts you will need to import those into that controller.

- If you are using DNS to discover the Master you may need to use a new VLAN / DHCP Scope using DHCP Option 43 for the new APs so those can discover the new Master controller.

Is not a pretty solution but it can get you there.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS 6.4 Cluster Upgrade and AP-61

Posted Nov 23, 2015 02:05 PM
    Vitor, thanks for the response on such short notice! If I just change the specific controller role to master it will keep enough configuration for it to have all my SSID profiles, DHCP settings and other configs to pass to the APs? This leads to a doubt: Why would this specific controller's "backupflash" be considerably smaller when compared to the current master's backupflash (~4mb to 4kb)? As for the other observations, by guest you mean guest account to access the webpage of the controller? Will check on that. My master discovery happens with the use of IP address, so I guest I'm OK here as well.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS 6.4 Cluster Upgrade and AP-61

Posted Nov 23, 2015 06:01 PM
    The file size will be different based on the different files each controller has in the flash:
    - Logs
    - Guest User DB
    - Captive Portal Files
    - etc...

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS 6.4 Cluster Upgrade and AP-61

Posted Nov 24, 2015 08:50 AM

It does make sense. Thanks. One more thing, why would you say its not a pretty solution? Would you recommend any other way to achieve this goal and maintain my AP-61s and AP-103s functional under the controlled infrastructure?

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS 6.4 Cluster Upgrade and AP-61

Posted Nov 24, 2015 08:56 AM

The reason is not a "pretty" solution is because now you have to manage two configs or rather two master controllers