Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 19, 2012 01:15 AM

     

    Hey Folks!

     

    I need to upgrade a 3400 controller to 6.1.2.8 from 3.4 and I was wonder if there is a process document to do it ? I believe that I have to go to a version of 5.x first.

     

    also .. if someone has done this and experienced a loss of configuration or data I would appreciate the feedback.

     

    How does the license transfer? I don’t' think the PEFNG was even around for 3.4?

     

    I also heard that there is a memory expansion module for the 3200 ... Is there one available for the 3400?

     

    Any help would be appreciated

     

    Air-mojo

    CE


    #3200
    #3400


  • 2.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 19, 2012 07:35 AM

    @Air-mojo wrote:

     

    Hey Folks!

     

    I need to upgrade a 3400 controller to 6.1.2.8 from 3.4 and I was wonder if there is a process document to do it ? I believe that I have to go to a version of 5.x first.

     

    also .. if someone has done this and experienced a loss of configuration or data I would appreciate the feedback.

     

    How does the license transfer? I don’t' think the PEFNG was even around for 3.4?

     

    I also heard that there is a memory expansion module for the 3200 ... Is there one available for the 3400?

     

    Any help would be appreciated

     

    Air-mojo

    CE


    Please look at the release notes for 6.1.2.8.  It will say to upgrade to the latest 5.x code, and then the 6.1.2.8 code.

     

    Every time you cosider doing and upgrade, if you do a "backup flash" on your controller  then upgrade the partition opposite to the one that is running, allows you to downgrade by doing a "restore flash" and booting to the previous parition.

     

    The licenses wil upgrade to the 5.x and then the 6.1.x equivalents, so you should be fine.

     

    The 3400 does not have or need a memory expansion module.

     

     

     



  • 3.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 19, 2012 08:26 AM

    I believe you can go from the 3.4.4.1 or above directly to version 6.1.2.x or above.

     

    Edit: It's actually directly to version 6.1.2.1 or above



  • 4.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 19, 2012 08:29 AM

    @jrwhitehead wrote:

    I believe you can go from the 3.4.4.1 or above directly to version 6.1.2.x or above.


    Make NO mistake:

     

    From the 6.1.2.8 release notes"

     

    "You can directly upgrade to ArubaOS 6.1.2.8 if you are running one of the following 5.0.x releases: [5.0.3.1, 5.0.3.2, 5.0.3.3, or 5.0.4.x]. However, upgrading from an ArubaOS version earlier than 5.0.3.1 requires an upgrade hop. You must first upgrade to the latest ArubaOS 5.0.4.x build before upgrading to ArubaOS 6.1.2.8. Read all the following information before you upgrade to ArubaOS 6.1.2.8. "



  • 5.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 19, 2012 08:51 AM
      |   view attached

    I try not to make mistakes.

     

    This is also from the same release notes which are attached.

     

    Upgrading from 3.x to 6.1.x
    If you are running ArubaOS 3.4.4.1 or a later version in the 3.4.4.x code stream, you can directly upgrade to ArubaOS 6.1.2.8. However, upgrading from a 3.x ArubaOS version earlier than 3.4.4.1 requires an upgrade hop. You must first upgrade to the latest ArubaOS 3.4.4.x build before upgrading to ArubaOS 6.1.2.8.

     

    There are lots of helpful tips on the upgrade procedure in there too.

    Attachment(s)



  • 6.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 19, 2012 09:20 AM

    @jrwhitehead wrote:

    I try not to make mistakes.

     

    This is also from the same release notes which are attached.

     

    Upgrading from 3.x to 6.1.x
    If you are running ArubaOS 3.4.4.1 or a later version in the 3.4.4.x code stream, you can directly upgrade to ArubaOS 6.1.2.8. However, upgrading from a 3.x ArubaOS version earlier than 3.4.4.1 requires an upgrade hop. You must first upgrade to the latest ArubaOS 3.4.4.x build before upgrading to ArubaOS 6.1.2.8.

     

    There are lots of helpful tips on the upgrade procedure in there too.


    Jrwhitehead You are absolutely correct.  The person who opened this thread only said 3.4 and did not say if it was 3.4.4.1, so I was just being cautious.

     

    There are two reasons for the double upgrade in the first place:

     

    1.  In older versions of code, the access points had a fixed limit in software about the size of an image they would download.  At a certain level of code, this was exceeded.  This means that those APs would have to first be upgraded to a version of code that removed the limit, and then upgrade to a version of code that was larger than the limit.

    2.  In ArubaOS 6.1 and above, there is an additional Ancillary Partition that has files for the new Dashboard that need to be installed to the correct partition and this needs to be prepped before upgrading to 6.1.x

     

     

    Here are the issues you are primarily trying to avoid:

     

    1. You could theoretically go from any version of code to 6.1.2.8, but your access points would not allow the larger image to be downloaded to the APs, and you would be stuck in the water

    2. You could theoretically go from any version of code to 6.1.2.8, but the ancillary partition would not have been loaded onto the controller and you would get a message at the login screen saying "An additional upgrade is needed"

     

     

     

     



  • 7.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 19, 2012 09:50 AM

    Thanks for the info Colin. :smileyhappy:

     

    James



  • 8.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 20, 2012 08:33 PM

    Thank for all the advice!

     

    I am at 3.4 so it looks like I will need to make a hop to 5.0.4 before I go to 6.1.2.8. I was having trouble finding tthe release notes but now that I have then I will read through the procedure carefully. Scheduled for 22nd .... will let you know how it goes.

     

    Has anyone had any issues with 6.1.3?

     

    Thanks again!



  • 9.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted Mar 20, 2012 08:41 PM

    FYI, I have had some very good reports about 6.1.3.x when deployed at some sites with 3x00 controllers.

     

    YMMV (of course) but its encouraging...   

     

    JF



  • 10.  RE: Need to upgrade 3400 from 3.4 to 6.1 - Any Issues?

    Posted May 07, 2012 12:01 PM

    My experience was to go from 3.4 to 5.3 this was completely without issue

    I just went from 5.x to 6.1 last week and the only issue I have found is that a number of the item have change location to the dashboard

    The only real problem I have encounter is in rogue detection. Although I can see rogue AP's on the dashboard, I cannot use the locate feature to easily identify their physical location.

    I am using a Master-Local configuration and the dashboard on the Master only provide security information as it has no actual AP's or clients normally.

    Although I am impressed with many of the features in OS 6.1 , I do miss the reports and ability to Locate rogues and clients that I had in 5.3