Network Management

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

7.4 Upgrade Notes

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2011 11:49 AM

Just wanted to pass along some notes about the new Airwave 7.4.

Upgrade from 7.3.x to 7.4 takes about 1.5 hours, depending on database size, it may take longer.

Nightly backup failed for us last night. I think that could have been because I had searched for "iPhone" late in the afternoon, which caused Airwave to lockup.

An awesome new feature is the port counters and statistics for the controllers! Very cool.

Single sign-on when you click on a controller IP.

The quick-search function is pretty sweet.

Zach

• 2.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2011 03:35 PM

How many devices do you have?

• 3.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2011 04:48 PM
    Arround 600 APs and typically 2.3k clients.

Our database is 1.5GB. We have about 1 year of data in Airwave. Physical, dual-quad, 16GB of RAM.

Zach

• 4.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Nov 23, 2011 12:03 PM

I want to upgrade to the 7.4 version from 7.3. We are new airwave users and just installed 7.3. I have downloaded the 7.4 upgrade file and the script but I can't upgrade instructions. I browsed throught the release notes and found nothing. Can one of you guys point me to the upgrade instructions? Thanks in advance.

• 5.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Nov 24, 2011 05:37 AM

Had similar issues.  Open a case with ARUBA Support - they will get you up and runing pretty quickly, "painless".  There are some changes in the process. 

• 6.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Nov 28, 2011 03:17 PM

The 7.4 upgrade process will try to download the software from support.arubanetworks.com (instead of the old www.airwave.com site), so please do contact TAC if you run into any problems. We've tried to make the process seamless. 

• 7.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2011 09:01 AM

One annoyance that I did notice is that the scroll wheel on my mouse no longer zooms in and out in VisualRF. That is a bit annoying.

• 8.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Nov 29, 2011 09:04 AM

Huh - the "two-finger drag" thing on my MAC touch pad still does the zoom thing. :smileytongue:

• 9.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Nov 29, 2011 04:42 PM

You all probably know this already but here is what I was looking for;

start_amp_upgrade -v 7.4.2

You'll be prompted for a user name and password, use your support credentials, to download the code.

This started the upgrade process for me. During the install it suggested a upgrade to some of the kernel packages, here is the command it suggested (yours might be different);

cd /root/svn/mercury/src/x86_64/rpms/CentOS-5.0; rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.x86_64.rpm kernel-headers-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.x86_64.rpm

I ran this, then rebooted and the upgrade was complete.

• 10.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 05, 2011 05:59 AM

in downloads i see only the 7.3.7 downloads.. i followed the KB article regarding 7.3.x 32bit upgrade and upgraded to latest 7.3.7 32.bit . now the KB article mentions the download file of 7.4.0 but im not able to download, getting error 404. i already have contact to support, i wonder why 7.3.7 downloads are working properly , fetching from the same location.

if you are in need of upgrade steps/how-to , then just browse the airwave KB , and enter "64bit", the first article includes everything you need.

regards

ben

• 11.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 05, 2011 07:02 AM

Hi Ben,

As Jason said before, 7.4 upgrade packages and installation software are under Aruba support site. I believe you were checking under airwave.com/support where 7.3.7 is last updated release. Please login to arubaneworks.com/support and navigate to Airwave section for 7.4 packages. If you do not have access to Aruba support sitr. Please open send us an email to support@arubanetworks.com for login access we can create one. Alternatively yo can also do so from Aruba support site.

Regards

Gowri

• 12.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 05, 2011 07:07 AM

got it , didnt know that airwave iso/upgrades also are avail via support website of aruba directly . well the link to 7.4.0 via the KB of airwave in the 64bit article "how to upgrade" still not working,

perhaps they will fix this laters this year,

thanks!

ben

• 13.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 05, 2011 07:14 AM

silly question  - in which case i need this 27kb 7.4.0 upgrade script ? or the 7.4.2 upgrade script ?

the process is still the same inside 7.4.x or ? i always did it the way like : start_amp_upgrade -v 7.x  .. do i have to fetch the upgrade script aswell and put in same location like the 250mb upgrade package?

im asking cause i didnt read anything in the 64bit upgrade article and im now about to upgrade the AMP 7.3.7-64bit to 7.4.0

regards

• 14.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 05, 2011 07:50 AM

Yes - you need the new upgrade script.  It has the "new" location of the installer files.

Put it in the same location as the older script.

• 15.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 05, 2011 08:10 AM

Sounds good, if following "stupidly" the upgrade informations :

• Please download the 7.4.0 upgrade package from the link given below:

http://airwave.com/download/AMP-7.4.0-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz

• Please copy the package to /root directory and then run the following command, from the AMP's CLI using the root credentials: start_amp_upgrade -v 7.4.0

Note: If you run into any errors, please email the following file, to Support: /tmp/AMP-7.4.0-upgrade.log

, accidentally they dont mention any upgrade_script to exchange ... therefore in my case running 7.3.7-64bit i will put

this file "AMP-7.4.0-amp_upgrade"  in same location where the start_amp_upgrade is .. right? and start normally this command :

start_amp_upgrade -v 7.4.0

when finished i repeat this for 7.4.2 too... right?

regards

• 16.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 06, 2011 03:48 PM

bg - that is the new upgrade script - you will not need to download that again.  The install script will copy the 7.4.0 and later images for installation and upgrade - automagically.  No need to download the disk image; unless your AMP does not have internet access.

• 17.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 07, 2011 03:48 PM

When I run the command uname -a I get the following on one of our AMP boxes.   I believe the box is capable of 64 bit.   Does this result mean it is not or only that the current version of AMP is 32 bit?

Linux amp01.dpsk12.org 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Thu May 13 13:48:44 EDT 2010                       i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

• 18.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 06, 2011 01:40 PM

**Verify that your Airwave box OS is 64 bit'

Use this command to verify: 'uname -a'

Output: Linux airwave.umc.ufl.edu 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 #1 SMP Sun Jul 10 08:43:41 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(The above confirms that OS is 64 bit)

One important thing to remember is to make sure the 7.4 upgrade image is on your Airwave box.

Use WINSCP to copy the file to your Airwave box /root directory.

Make sure your AW box is SSH and log into the box and drag and drop the image.

You can then begin the upgrade by inputting the following command:

start_amp_upgrade -v 7.4.2

The process will start and was very quick  and downtime was minimal.

Hope the above helps.

• 19.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 08, 2011 07:36 AM

Can I go from 7.3.7 directly to 7.4.3 or do I have to upgrade to 7.4.0 first?

• 20.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2011 07:59 AM
    Please check the release notes. That typically tells you the upgrade path.

• 21.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 08, 2011 08:32 AM

in my case i now have some 7.3.7-64bit release installed, i will now copy the "offline" 200mb package and will upgrade like the last times in same way. it's nice to know that there's some automatic "online" upgrade script. in my case i wont need this.

i will upgrade in this path :

7.3.7->7.4.0-> 7.4.2 , so 7.4.3 is released ?

regards

ben

• 22.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2011 08:49 AM

@bg wrote:

in my case i now have some 7.3.7-64bit release installed, i will now copy the "offline" 200mb package and will upgrade like the last times in same way. it's nice to know that there's some automatic "online" upgrade script. in my case i wont need this.

i will upgrade in this path :

7.3.7->7.4.0-> 7.4.2 , so 7.4.3 is released ?

regards

ben

Yes, 7.4.3 was released on 12/6/2011, according to the support site. I have not yet upgraded to it.

• 23.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 21, 2011 10:53 AM

In general, major upgrades work across up 1 or 2 major versions. From 7.0, you can go to 7.1 or 7.2 directly, but going to 7.3 isn't officially supported. 

• 24.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted May 07, 2012 07:46 PM

Hi

Do you know if an AWMS upgrade form 7.2.2 to 7.4.8 is supported or do I need to upgrade to a inbetween version first?

Thanks

S

• 25.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2012 07:55 PM

Upgrading from 7.2.x to 7.4.x is supported in one step.  However, if your 7.2 installation is using a 32-bit OS, you'll need to migrate to 64-bit as a part of this. 

• 26.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted May 07, 2012 08:05 PM

Thanks, currently we run this:

ILooking at the below this is 64 bit already right?

[root@XXXXXXX mercury]# uname -a
    Linux XXXXXXXXX.internal 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 17:52:25 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• 27.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2012 08:16 PM

Yes, that's 64-bit.

• 28.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted May 07, 2012 09:26 PM

Excellent, thanks for all your help.

• 29.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 08, 2011 09:12 AM

Anyone running an older 32-bit version of Airwave, I got these upgrade steps from TAC and they worked out well.  I took a VM image of the old server and ran the upgrade on it with no real issues.  The new 7.4.2 version is pretty slick so far.

1. Download the 32-bit upgrade package

2. Use a file transfer tool like winSCP and place the upgrade package in the /root directory.

3. Login to GUI and copy the license from Home>License including the "Begin License"  and "End License" lines and save it in an external disk.

4. Log into CLI and enter the following command :

#start_amp_upgrade -v 7.2.5

5. Once the upgrade is completed, run the following command to take the 32-bit backup.

#amp_backup

6. Use a file transfer tool like winSCP to copy the 32-bit backup from /alternatives/databackup.tar.gz and save it in an external disk.

7. Download the 64-bit ISO file for AMP version 7.2.5.

8. Burn a CD from the AMP software image.(ISO burning instructions can be found in the AirWave Quick Start Guide available at http://support.arubanetworks.com)

9. Do fresh install of 7.2.5.64 bit.

10. Once the upgrade is completed, Place the backup file in /tmp and  run the following command to restore backup.

# amp_restore -d   /tmp/databackup.tar.gz

11. Download the 7.4.0 upgrade package  from the link below and place it in /root directory.

12. Run the below command to upgrade the AMP to 7.4.0

# start_amp_upgrade –v  7.4.0

13. Once the upgrade complete use the below command to check if the upgrade was successful.

# amp_version

• 30.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 08, 2011 09:49 AM

i did same steps like you but not with 7.2.5, more with 7.3.7 , those are just the paths described in the kb , therefore there are many ways and aslong as you just keep along the KB details then you're fine for sure.

regards

• 31.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 08, 2011 10:00 AM

silly question : my demo license expired 1-2 days ago and i just put the 7.4.0-64bit upgrade package on the 7.3.7-64bit upgrade and did "start_amp_upgrade v 7.4.0" .

is this a problem during upgrading if the license is already expired? , cause it seemed that the upgrade ran fine, but well the license was still expired ;-)

it's some testlab system so no prio on this , just an internal demolab installation for having airwave running to show customers.

regards

ben

• 32.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 09, 2011 12:03 AM

Just wanted to report my upgrade went very smoothly from 7.3.7 -> 7.4.3.

I downloaded the package manually and placed it in /root and then ran #start_amp_upgrade -v 7.4.3

The whole process took about 30 minutes including the reboot after kernel upgrade.

-ELiasz

• 33.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 09, 2011 12:23 AM

Looks like I spoke to soon. Nothing major but all my controller are now showing Mismatched because of a bunch of MAC errors:

AAA Profile 'AmigoPod-aaa_prof' MAC Authentication Server Group(not set)default

There is an entry for all of the AAA profiles on each controller under mismatch.

Also all of my RAP devices are now mismatched with an error:

Remote APYesNo

Doing an Import for each group under Audit looks to resolve the issue for Controllers, but I'm not sure about the mismatch on the RAPs. There is no Import under Audit for APs, and I don't want to manually got to manage for each device and switch it to Remote AP (YES). And when I switch that it asks for Usernames and IKE PSK which do not apply all the RAPs are all RAP-2.

I will open a ticket with support to log into the RAP issues

-ELiasz

• 34.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted Dec 21, 2011 10:50 AM

When the license expires, pretty much everything on the back end continues to function, including data collection. Only the web UI is disabled. 

• 35.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted May 17, 2012 02:52 PM

Guys quick question. Looks like I updated succesfully. But when i log into my server I still get the following message even though i'm upgraded to 7.4.8 and everything works fine. I have no linux experiance so anything would help:

#################################################################

Welcome to AirWave.

Please run "./amp-centos-upgrade" to complete the upgrade.

#################################################################

I did as they ask and It cannot find hte final even though I have the file moved to the root directory

• 36.  RE: 7.4 Upgrade Notes

Posted May 17, 2012 04:11 PM

I just finished upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.4.8 as well.

As it has been mentioned in this post, I had to first go from 32-bit to 64-bit, which I decided to do right off the bat in 7.1.3.  This was painless, as I backed up the data and then a fresh built (or migrated - as Aruba refers it) the server to 7.1.3 64-bit then restored the data.

Then I went to 7.2.5, which was painless as well.

But then when I tried going from 7.2.5 to 7.4.8 (which is supposed to work) it got stuck and eventually crashed on me.  I could not restore it at all and had to do a fresh build of AirWave 7.2.5 and then restore from the data that was available.  Then I consoled into the server and did the exact same steps of upgrading from 7.2.5 to 7.4.8 and it worked.  I was told by TAC that it failed the first time because my SSH session (from my computer to the server) timed out.  This still does not make sense to me since the command is executed in the server and should be irrelivant of the SSH session but that is the case.  He did suggest that if I am doing a SSH session I should also be doing a 'screen' session.

Well, it is running 7.4.8 now but I thought I would share this will everyone.  It is a long and time consuming process.