Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

local controller redundancy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  local controller redundancy

Posted Jun 18, 2013 06:52 AM

Hi

We have 2 local controllers at 1 of our sites. The master controller is located at another site. I am trying to set up local/local redundancy. There are 2 VRRP Ids each set up on local controllers.

On controller 1 the VRRP config is

vrrp 161
      priority 110
      ip address 10.x.x.9
      description "Initial-Primary"
      vlan 19
      no shutdown
    !
    vrrp 162
      ip address 10.x.x.8
      description "Initial-Standby"
      vlan 19
      no shutdown

On controller 2 the VRRP config is

vrrp 161
      ip address 10.x.x.9
      description "Initial-Standby"
      vlan 19
      no shutdown
    !
    vrrp 162
      priority 110
      ip address 10.x.x.8
      description "Initial-Primary"
      vlan 19
      no shutdown

The scenario is that we want to split the APs 50/50 across the 2 local controllers so in the event of a controller failure, the APs will failover to the other controller. When we test this, initially the AP will failover, but as soon as the failed controller comes back up the AP will fail back to the original controller. We do not want this to happen. If the failed controller keeps bouncing, the APs will just keep failing between controllers. We want the APs to failover but stay on the second controller so we can then manually move them back when the controller is fully operational again.

I assumed that not enabling router pre-emption in the  virtual router config would mean the AP would failover, remaining on the the new controller until some sort of manual intervention.

Does anyone have any ideas how to achieve what we want?

Thanks
    Roy

• 2.  RE: local controller redundancy

Posted Jun 18, 2013 07:18 AM

What you can do is setup a preemption delay (but maximum time is only 60 secs) so the other controller doesn't take over right away and also configure tracking

But you might be better off doing the manual process unless that controller serves as backup to other controllers in case of a failure

• 3.  RE: local controller redundancy

Posted Jun 18, 2013 09:11 AM

Can you point me to any document that explains the various tracking options? My searches so far don't explain it fully.

Should each vrrp on each controller be configured identically? e.g. if preemption is configured on 1 controller but not the other, would it cause any issues?

Thanks

Roy

• 4.  RE: local controller redundancy

Posted Jun 18, 2013 09:50 AM
    You should only configure it on the controller that would be the master for that vrrp instance

See if this doc helps :

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_61/ArubaOS_61_CLI/vrrp.htm