Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

iOS Connectivity Issues on Any SSID

• 1.  iOS Connectivity Issues on Any SSID

Posted Oct 29, 2013 11:27 AM

I'm noticing an issue with a couple of iPads when I connect them to any SSID (WPA2 or Open).  Here are two separate issues I've noticed:

1) After tapping on the SSID, it takes 5-10 seconds to get an IP address.

2) After tapping on the SSID, the connection indicator spins and spins and spins... I get tired of waiting and turn off wifi and re-enable.  The iPad then connects to the SSID almost immediately.

I haven't noticed this with other devices, but I'm not completely sure it's just an iOS issue.  At home (using my consumer router) I don't have these issues.  Any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: iOS Connectivity Issues on Any SSID

Posted Oct 29, 2013 11:41 AM

What kind of encryption?

We would need to look at the user-debug log and the auth-tracebuf to see what is going on behind the scenes to even guess what is going on.

• 3.  RE: iOS Connectivity Issues on Any SSID

Posted Oct 29, 2013 01:38 PM

This is independant of encryption because I'm seeing it on WPA2 and Open SSIDs.

I discovered that I can recreate the issue at-will.  Once connected to a network, WPA2 in this example, and then connect to my open SSID, the connection icon just spins.  While it's spinning (stalled), I can tap the blue icon to see details about the network connection, and it shows I have an IP address.  The MAC shows that it's associated to an AP, but I can't find that IP address in the user table and it's not pingable.

auth-tracebuf only shows:

Oct 29 12:24:30  mac-auth-req

Oct 29 12:24:30  mac-auth-fail

Oct 29 12:24:30  station-up

Oct 29 12:24:30  station-data-ready

An auth-tracebuf from a connection that doesn't stall out looks identical.

I compared a healthy connection user-debug  to one that stalls out, and the two look similar up till this point:

Oct 29 12:25:36 :524124:  <DBUG> |authmgr|  dot1x_supplicant_up(): MAC:a4:d1:d2:xx:xx:xx, pmkid_present:False, pmkid:N/A

The stalled iPad, doesn't log any further, but the healthy connection continues to log more.

If you don't have any thoughts on the matter I'll open up a TAC case.