Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

GRE tunnel between local controller.

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  GRE tunnel between local controller.

Posted Feb 13, 2013 03:41 PM

HI Everyone,

we are setting up GRE tunnel between the master cotroller and local controller. Both master and local controller ip address are in vlan 10. We are trying to configure the GRE tunnel between the controller but however the tunnel interface is up and the tunnel prtocol is down. We configured the GRE tunnel with the controller ip address. please find the below configuration. 

master controller ip:172.16.10.1       Local controllerip : 172.16.10.2

Master controller:

tunnel 200

tunnel source vlan 10 ----------> master controller ip address is in vlan 10

tunnel destination 172.16.10.2

tunnel mode gre 1

trusted

Local controller:

tunnel 200

tunnel source vlan 10 --------> local controller ip address is in vlan 10

tunnel destination 172.16.10.1

tunnel mode gre 1

trusted

Please let me know if the above configuration is correct or wrong. Please let us know why tunnel is showing down. 

• 2.  RE: GRE tunnel between local controller.

Posted Feb 13, 2013 03:46 PM

Hi

Good evening,here your answer:   :smileyhappy:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Controllers/Using-GRE-Tunnels-to-centralize-L3-access/m-p/2831

Example (by other fourm member - old post here in AirHeads)
    :

Let's suppose Controller A has a Vlan "V" which is your voice Vlan. You have controller B which does not have that Voice VLAN, but you have clients that routinely attach to controller B which does not have Vlan V. Here's how you would solve that:

You would create a GRE Tunnel between Controller A and Controller B. On controller A, you would Attach Vlan V to that tunnel. On controller B, you would create Vlan "V" and attach it to no interfaces. You would attach Vlan "V" on Controller B to the same GRE tunnel. In other words, you would make a layer 2 Tunnel between two controllers, just for bridging the same VLAN.

When handsets attach to controller A, they would be placed into Vlan V, and their traffic would be sent on their way. When handsets attach to controller B, they would be placed into Vlan V, which tunnels back to Controller A, that has the REAL Vlan V and traffic would continue like nothing happened. Your main vulnerability, of course is if Controller A is down, you cannot put handsets onto Vlan V, because that is your only path to that Vlan.

Vlan V = 100
    config example
    Controller A:

interface tunnel 100
    tunnel source vlan 1
    tunnel destination 192.168.10.1 <---------IP interface on Controller B for terminating tunnel
    tunnel Vlan 100 <-----Puts Vlan 100 traffic on that tunnel
    trusted
    !
    !

Controller B:

Interface tunnel 100
    tunnel source Vlan 1
    tunnel destination 192.168.20.1 <--------IP interface on Controller A for terminating tunnel
    tunnel Vlan 100 <------Puts all VLAN traffic 100 on that tunnel
    trusted

In Summary:

1. Create Vlan 100 on Controller A
    2. Assign Vlan 100 to an interface
    3. Create Tunnel 100 on Controller A and attach Vlan 100 traffic to it, and make it trusted
    4. Create Vlan 100 on Controller B but don't assign it to an interface
    5. Create Tunnel 100 on Controller B and attach Vlan 100 traffic to it, and make it trusted

When handsets get on Controller B, they will be placed on Vlan 100, and their traffic will be sent back to Controller A where the REAL Vlan 100 is.

update me if further info/help needed (K+ me if i helped u)

Me.

• 3.  RE: GRE tunnel between local controller.

Posted Feb 13, 2013 11:40 PM

Thank you for your help.. I have already saw the info that you have provided. However it raised me so many question than answer. 

i am trying to simple GRE tunnel between local controller and master controller. Can you please let us know whether can i form the L2 GRE tunnel with the controller ip?. Can you please let me know whether my configuation posted above is correct or wrong? Because GRE tunnel is not coming up with the above configuration. 

Awaiting your valuable reply. 

Thank you

• 4.  RE: GRE tunnel between local controller.

Posted Mar 09, 2013 09:01 AM

im taking a stab in the dark here as i havent touched GRE tunnels on Aruba yet. first of all why? you want to build a tunnel for what reason? if i look at the other example i can imagine your config is lacking traffic to be tunneled, perhaps if you add that and make it trusted then the tunnel will actually come up.