Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

Posted Nov 06, 2013 10:29 AM

The 5WN's used to work great until September. Now I have users complaining all the time about freqeunt disconnects. Clients will disconnect immediately when using RDP.  I created a 5GHz profile and that seems to have fixed a few issues but I can't do that with everybody. I have replaced a few with AP 70's and 125's and they work great. I opened a case with TAC but they were unable to resolve.

• 2.  RE: Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

Posted Nov 06, 2013 10:42 AM

Have you made any big changes before or after september ?

Do you see this happening with several RAPs ?

When you say you changed the profile to 5Ghz , are users experiencing issues only on the 2.4 band ?

You should probably open a TAC case too

• 3.  RE: Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

Posted Nov 06, 2013 11:11 AM

Yes the problem is widespread. We have 200+ users and getting constant complaints.I have moved about a handful of users to the 5GHz profile as TAC suggested. If it was a problem with 2.4 GHz wouldn't it be happening with the 70's and 125's too?  I'm hesitant to do it with everybody because of the limited range. I personnaly have used one at home for a couple of years and started having the same issue as other users around September. As soon as I would open a RDP session, the connection between the client and RAP would drop. I checked the uptime in the controller and in most cases, the connection has been up for days or weeks. I'm using a 125 now and having no problems at all. I know Microsoft put out some updates in September that didn't go so well.

• 4.  RE: Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

Posted Nov 06, 2013 11:26 AM

Interesting..

Do you only see the disconnects with the RDP sessions ?

Do you see any coorelation with ARM channel/power changes with the disconnects by any chance ?

What AOS are you running ?

Can you check if you see a lot of bootstrapping on the RAPs ? show ap debug counters 

Have you guys seen any changes on the ISP connection coming in ?

• 5.  RE: Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

Posted Nov 06, 2013 11:50 AM

Disconnects are not only with RDP but I just happened to notice that is one way I can re-produce the problem. The controller is running OS v5.0.4.9. ARM history doesn't show anything but there is one particular user that I know is having a problem and she seems to have an excessive amount of bootsraps compared to others (134). I was plan on replacing her RAP. I haven't uncovered any changes to the ISP.

• 6.  RE: Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

Posted Nov 06, 2013 12:16 PM

You usually are going to see a high number of boostraps coming from the RAPs since those need travel several hops to contact the controller.

One thing you could do is increase the bootstrap threshold from 8 to 25 or 30 but before you do this inform the Aruba TAC engineer so they are aware

www.arubanetworks.com_wp-content_uploads_RAPVRD_version_8.pdf_2013-11-06_12-12-23.png

Make sure there's no packet loss on your physical links on your controller and uplink device.

• 7.  RE: Has anybody else experienced problem with clients disconnecting from RAP 5WN's ?

Posted Nov 06, 2013 12:39 PM

I will give it a try. Thanks for your time!