Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-105 question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP-105 question

Posted Nov 26, 2011 11:54 PM

I have a bunch of AP-105's, and no controller -  shipped last for some reason..   

5 of the AP's will go on our mobile lab carts, each with 25 macbooks.  

Does anyone know if the AP-105 will broadcast an SSID and allow connections if it doesn't have a link?    I would assume it wouldn't, since it requires the controller to function.   But I just want to make sure.   If it does I might have to re-think putting them on the carts.

Currently we are using Apple airports,  if someone forgets to plug one of them into the network, but doesn't unplug the power,  it will take down pretty much every mobile device within a 4 room radius.   Kind of a pain! :)  

• 2.  RE: AP-105 question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2011 04:34 AM

The AP-105 will only function that way if you purposely program it to do that.  It is not something that happens by accident.

• 3.  RE: AP-105 question

Posted Nov 27, 2011 02:05 PM

Thanks!

I have another question -   these AP's will be on mobile carts.   These carts might land in one vlan part of the day, and another the next part.       Is there some sort of special configuration I should be looking at on these to accomplish that?  

I've been thinking about just ceiling mounting the AP's in the areas where the carts are most likely used to add a little more density.   But my luck the second I take the AP's off the carts, they'll take to a less dense part of the building.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: AP-105 question

Posted Nov 30, 2011 02:48 AM

With the controller based architecture, your vlan for the wireless users is usually located back at the controller.  So regardless of where the AP is powered-up, the traffic will be tunneled back.  So in essence, the clients will also be getting IP from the same subnet.  

-michael