Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

moving aps to test controller

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  moving aps to test controller

Posted Nov 13, 2016 10:14 AM

Hi,

We are running a test controller so that we can try out the upgrade process to 6.5.1 (we currently run 6.4.3.7). The two live masters are 7210s and the locals are 7220s. The test controller is a 7220.

The test controller  is running in the same layer 2 domain as the other controllers.

We want to switch a single group of APs from the existing controllers to the test controller (the test controller was set up initially by joining it to the existing mobility domain so that it picked up all the necessary config, and now it is running independently as a master).

I'm trying this out initially with a single AP to see what I need to do = I created a new group with a new provisioning profile with the test controller's hostname as the master, I also created a new system profile with the test controller's IP as the LMS IP. But whatever happens when I regroup the AP it still uses the live master, console output:

Running ADP...Done. Master is aruba-master.net.cam.ac.uk

Using saved lms 131.111.1.22 as the master directly

Reprovisioning the AP doesn't seem to work either ie

provision-ap

read-boot info wired-mac <mac>

reprovision wired-mac <mac>

For a single AP I know I could purge the AP and set the master manually by consoling in, but the APs we want to switch have been deployed so this isn't an option. What else do I need to do to make this switch happen?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: moving aps to test controller

Posted Nov 13, 2016 10:18 AM

Gah! Guess what I forgot to do?... write mem!

That has done it. I need that written on a post-it on my screen!

• 3.  RE: moving aps to test controller

Posted Nov 14, 2016 07:37 AM

...well I thought that it had worked, but somehow I am now back in the old situation. The AP is appearing on the live controller not the test controller despite being in its own group, with its own system profile (LMS IP) and provisioning profile (Master FQDN).

The console shows that it is now provisioned with the test controller name:

Running ADP...Done. Master is aruba-master-65.net.cam.ac.uk

But later on:

131.111.1.22 is a local in the live system. I tried reprovisioning the AP but no luck.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, can anyone help?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: moving aps to test controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2016 07:55 AM

Based on your first post, the only way that you can do this is to:

1.  Remove any LMS-IP from any ap-group

2.  Provision the AP using Wireless> AP Installation and point it to the controller you need it to go to:

Screenshot 2016-11-14 at 06.52.35.png

You should not be using a provisioning profile for this, so please delete it or change it to N/A in that ap group.

Combining an ap move between controllers that do not have the same version of code is disastrous, because when a controller is upgraded or downgraded, it starts discovery all over.  Everything that you did up to this point, just creates another variable or increases the possibility of an upgrade/downgrade loop.  Keep it simple by hardcoding the ip address of the controller you want to point it to and reboot.

• 5.  RE: moving aps to test controller

Posted Nov 14, 2016 08:09 AM

Thanks as always Colin,

Actually at the moment all the controllers are on the same code. We want to move this group of APs across to the test controller and then perform the upgrade to 6.5.1 see how they respond.

The single AP move I'm doing now is just me testing moving an AP between controllers so that when we move the group it (hopefully) goes smoothly.

How do the instructions you gave translate into CLI commands? Can I apply this to a group?

• 6.  RE: moving aps to test controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2016 08:56 AM

Provisioning an AP to a specific controller is not applied to a group, it is typically applied to a specific AP.  It can be applied to multiple APs of the same model.

There are cli commands to do this, but what you need to undo should be done via the GUI until you get it working.

• 7.  RE: moving aps to test controller

Posted Nov 14, 2016 10:39 AM

Ok so here's what I tried:

Changed the system profile to be default (no LMS IP)

Removed the provisioning profile completely

Moved the AP into the test group

Went to the controller URL, found the AP and provisioned it with:

Host controller name: aruba-master-65

Master Controller IP Address/DNS name: 131.111.1.7

...And booted it.

It looked like it was going to work, the AP appeared on the test controller briefly, got as far as 'Configuring Logging' and then silently switched back to the original controller.

Subsequently if I try repeating that process (of provisioning the test controller details via the GUI) it reboots but doesn't even seem to touch the test controller any more. But the provisioning parameters for it on the controller that it _does_ appear on are showing correctly, ie with the test controller details:

AP "18:64:72:c7:3b:0e" Provisioning Parameters
    ----------------------------------------------
    Item Value
    ---- -----
    AP Name 18:64:72:c7:3b:0e
    AP Group maths-master-65_aps
    Location name N/A
    SNMP sysLocation N/A
    Master 131.111.1.7
    Gateway N/A
    IPv6 Gateway N/A
    Netmask N/A
    IP Addr N/A
    IPv6 Addr N/A
    IPv6 Prefix 64
    DNS IP N/A
    DNS IPv6 N/A
    Domain Name N/A
    Server Name aruba-master-65
    Server IP N/A

And during bootup the console shows:

Running ADP...Done. Master is 131.111.1.7

But then later reverts to:

I'm a little confused! We do use DHCP otion 43, but that wouldn't supply 131.111.1.22.

• 8.  RE: moving aps to test controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2016 10:41 AM

Please open a TAC case to find out what else is going on...

• 9.  RE: moving aps to test controller
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 15, 2016 05:53 AM

It turned out the AP I was using had some per-AP config that was pushing it back onto the other controller, so all good now.