Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration of the controllers and the switch

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Configuration of the controllers and the switch

Posted Feb 16, 2016 01:53 AM

Hello I am new to Aruba and now doing a lab exercise to create a roaming network by a 7005 controller, 1500-24P access switch and two IAP-215 Access point.

Is it correct for me to connect the controller non-PoE port 1 to the switch port 1, the two access points to the port 2,4?

I have connect the RJ-45 connector to the console of the switch.

Could this design works?

Thank you. 

• 2.  RE: Configuration of the controllers and the switch

Posted Feb 16, 2016 02:14 AM

Hi,

Ports 1-3 are non POE Ports and Port E0 is a PoE "In" Port so the controller can get powerd with PoE. It doesn't support PoE Out to power APs.  

"7005 Cloud Services Controller is a compact, fanless entry-level branch platform that can be powered by a power-over-Ethernet (PoE) switch."

Regards Dennis

• 3.  RE: Configuration of the controllers and the switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2016 02:54 AM
    IAPs (Instant APS) are designed to work without a controller. You would not need the 7005 in this scenario to do wireless.

• 4.  RE: Configuration of the controllers and the switch

Posted Feb 18, 2016 01:29 PM
    Thanks for the reply!
    Is it correct that I only connect the two IAP with the switch and I could roam the two ap?
    How should I do the roaming?
    Is there any other configuration I have to set besides the same ip address range of the 2 aps?
    I am a student and new to setting up a network.
    Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Configuration of the controllers and the switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2016 02:21 PM

Yes you can roam between them.  First configure one IAP the way you want it.  When you plug the second IAP into the network, it should pick up the configuration of the first one and you should be able to see both access points in the GUI of the first IAP.  Your clients should be able to roam seamlessly between them.

If you are providing DHCP on the VLAN that you plug your IAPs into, you should be set...

Check out the info here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/For-the-Beginner-Aruba-Instant-IAP-Basic-setup/ta-p/80744

• 6.  RE: Configuration of the controllers and the switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2016 02:21 PM

Yes you can roam between them.  First configure one IAP the way you want it.  When you plug the second IAP into the network, it should pick up the configuration of the first one and you should be able to see both access points in the GUI of the first IAP.  Your clients should be able to roam seamlessly between them.

If you are providing DHCP on the VLAN that you plug your IAPs into, you should be set...

Check out the info here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/For-the-Beginner-Aruba-Instant-IAP-Basic-setup/ta-p/80744