Security

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest users keep getting disconnected

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Guest users keep getting disconnected

Posted Dec 14, 2015 01:16 PM

We have a guest ssid that is set to use a captive portal. Users can login fine to this but intermittently, users get disconnected from the network. This can happen even when they are browsing sites and using the laptop, so it does not appear to be due to inactivity. It can happen within a few minutes of connecting or even longer. There appears to be no pattern. 

The guest ssid is on all our access points along with a staff ssid. The staff ssid is fine and users do not get disconnected from this one. We have a mix of AP 105 and 205 access points across our sites and the issue happens on both APs.

I am still trying to investigate this but I am beginning to suspect the issue may be with devices on the 2.4Ghz range, I understand the 2.4GHz range is more susceptible to interference. Is it possible to switch of the 2.4Ghz radio for the guest ssid only? Would this be a reasonable step to take, even as a temporary measure to allow troubleshooting or would it cause other issues? 

Many thanks in advance

Roy

• 2.  RE: Guest users keep getting disconnected

Posted Dec 14, 2015 02:44 PM
    If you are only seeing this issue on a particular SSID and not on the other one.

Try matching the same settings , maybe there's a particular knob that was enabled on the guest VAP/SSiD profile that might be causing the issue.

In the VAP there's an option to either allow all bands or just one band.

Do you have drop broadcast / multicast enabled ?

• 3.  RE: Guest users keep getting disconnected

Posted Dec 15, 2015 03:44 AM

The profiles between the 2 SSIDs have identical settings except for the encryption method. The staff ssid uses radius authentication for our internal users and the guest ssid is using the built-in database. Staff is set for wpa2-aes and guest is wpa2-psk-aes I wouldn't have thought the encryption would cause this issue.

Drop broadcast and unknow multicast is not enabled.

The only other difference is the guest vap has station blacklisting enabled but staff does not.

• 4.  RE: Guest users keep getting disconnected

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2015 04:11 AM

- You should turn on "Drop Broadcast and Unknown" multicast on both Virtual APs

- You can broadcast an SSID on a single band by changing the "allowed band" parameter from "all" to "a" or "g".