Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 20, 2021 06:59 PM
      |   view attached
    Our Macs that have updated to the latest version of macOS, Big Sur, report an Unsecured Network message when connected to the Aruba wireless network. We use a secured captive portal as a login to our production network. The computer is then registered using RADIUS in our NAC server. Is this connection truly insecure as macOS states? 

------------------------------
    Nathan Kuhl

• 2.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 03:59 AM
    What is the encryption type defined on the SSID? If it is Open System then it will be considered unsecured. To resolve this you should consider WPA2/3 on the SSID.

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 06:31 AM
    It is open but as I said, we use an encrypted captive portal to initially sign in and register the device on our NAC server. Is it truly unsecured or is Big Sur mistakenly classifying it as such?

I get that most use WPA, and we may go down that road in the future, but for now, we're using a secure captive portal to initially register the device.

Nathan Kuhl

• 4.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 06:41 AM
    It is looking at the encryption type of the SSID and making the assumption based upon this. The OS would not be aware that your Captive Portal is speaking to a NAC at the back end.

• 5.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 07:41 AM
    The answer depends on your SSID settings. A open SSID with a captive portal login, even when using a RADUIS server is unencrypted and therefore unsecured. Traffic can be sniffed.

We are currently using EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 to RADIUS & AD and will move to the more secure certificate based EAP-TLS on our network.

Bruce Osborne

• 6.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 07:56 AM
    It's not only on an open SSID that you can sniff traffic, but you also can inject traffic and by spoofing the MAC address of an authorized client (which you can easily sniff) you can circumvent the captive portal and get to any resources that the authenticated user could get.

The funny is that your Guest network does have encryption.

If you can't move to EAP/WPA Enterprise, you probably should at least enable WPA2-PSK with an impossible-to-guess password on the SSID if it provides access to anything that has value.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 08:49 AM
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It's strange that Aruba support just responded with the following:

"From the case description I understand that after updating the mac devices to Big Sur, you are receiving an unsecured network alert.

As long as the captive portal certificate is valid and not expired, the connecting shouldn't be insecure. It could be an issue from the Apple end."

-- 
    Nathan Kuhl
    Information Technology
    Wyoming Seminary
    570-270-2241

*** Please report all problems to the help desk: https://helpdesk.wyomingseminary.org ***

• 8.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 08:59 AM
    Technically traffic to the portal is secured but all other traffic is broadcast in the clear offered to everybody in the area. Definitely not a secure network unless you are only talkin to the portal.

Bruce Osborne

• 9.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 09:16 AM
    Thanks Bruce. I don't think that it would be a big deal to move from the captive portal to WPA but I want our users to login using their AD credentials. Is this WPA enterprise? 
    -- 
    Nathan Kuhl
    Information Technology
    Wyoming Seminary
    570-270-2241

*** Please report all problems to the help desk: https://helpdesk.wyomingseminary.org ***

• 10.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 09:17 AM
    It depends a bit on the exact question that is asked, but I would not advise using open networks for anything. For some cases, like in anonymous guest networks, there is no real alternative. WPA3 OWE is promising for that use by adding encryption.

For authenticated networks, I would go for WPA2-Enterprise wherever possible. If you like the learn more about security principles, and I would expect this captive portal and different types of wireless encryption to be part of it, there is a nice webinar series about Security Essentials coming up next week.

If you like, please share the case number in a private message, or ask the TAC Engineer to reach out to me. More than happy to see the context of this.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 11.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 09:34 AM
    Sorry, but what TAC said is not correct. Any unencrypted network or networks using legacy encryption will be flagged as Not Secure.

I highly recommend you work with a partner or Aruba pro services if you're thinking about rolling out a secure network. An improperly configured secure network is worse than what you have today. (And if it makes you feel better, a majority of deployments are not properly deployed)

Tim C

• 12.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 22, 2021 07:47 AM
    Thank you. We're always looking to make common sense improvements and just moving away from a captive portal would create so many less headaches. You wouldn't believe how many students have Samsung phones that don't support captive portals.

I'll work with TAC to either create a new or modify our existing production SSID to implement WPA-Enterprise that works in conjunction with our NAC/radius server.

Nathan Kuhl

• 13.  RE: macOS Big Sur - Unsecured Network

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 22, 2021 07:51 AM
    Hm. All Samsung phones support captive portals. If you're seeing issues, there is likely an issue with your deployment.