Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

This thread has been viewed 41 times
  • 1.  11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

Posted Apr 02, 2021 12:10 PM

Our facility has 11 215's and we have three separate buildings; we use three vlans and three main WLANS; one being a guest network, one being the main vlan 1 for employees, and one being vlan 2 for the private school on campus. We want an open guest network available in the main building but not available in the other two buildings; we dont want the private school students on the guest network. 

So say I have Wifi 1 (vlan1), Wifi 2 (vlan2) and guest-wifi (vlan3).

In the main building we need:  wifi 1 and guest-wifi 

In the other two buildings we need: wifi 1 and wifi 2, but not guest-wifi 

The issue is I can't seem to be able to use multiple zones on an individual AP; I thought this became available on Instant version 8.3.0.0

My current solution was to make a fourth wifi using vlan 1, called "wifi-4" (an example) and put it in the same zone (zone2) as Wifi 2;

Then buildings 2 and 3 use zone 2

Then the main building uses zone 1, which is wifi 1 and guest wifi

This does work... but due to wifi 1 a wifi 4 being different SSIDs, when employees move from the main building to buildings 2 and 3 they have to manually change their wifi and it causes confusion. 

So my question is, how can I use wifi 1 throughout the whole campus on all APs, but add wifi 2 on certain APs, and add the guest wifi on certain APs? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Eric Christensen

• 2.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 02, 2021 12:32 PM
    You can set the SSID to multiple zones though :)

Dustin Burns

• 3.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

Posted Apr 02, 2021 02:20 PM
    So I tried setting multiple zones on the APs themselves, but that didn't work.
    So your saying I can set multiple zones on the SSIDs themselves?
    Thanks btw

Eric Christensen

• 4.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 02, 2021 02:51 PM
    Yes. See below taken from https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_83x_WebHelp/Content/Instant_UG/WLAN_SSID_conf/ConfiguringWLANPro.htm#top 

Zone:
    Specify the zone names for the SSID profile. When the zone is defined in SSID profile and if the same zone is defined on an Instant AP, the SSID is created on that Instant AP. Enter multiple zone name as comma-separated values. For more information on configuring zone details, see Configuring Zone Settings on an Instant AP.

Dustin Burns

• 5.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

Posted Apr 06, 2021 08:29 PM
    So I was able to spend some time with it today... And I can't get it to work.. :( 
    It seems to ignore any zone after the comma, and will only use the first zone specified in the list.
    I tried multiple zones on the SSIDs and then tried multiple zones on the APs.
    I am running firmware 8.6 (latest) so it should be new enough to do multiple zones

Eric Christensen

• 6.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 06, 2021 09:48 PM
    Did you remove any spaces after or before the comma? See working example.
    SSID
    AP

Dustin Burns

• 7.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

Posted Apr 06, 2021 09:53 PM
    Oh I definitely had a space after the comma.... Haha .. I will try tomorrow when I am back at work. Thank you very much for the help!

Eric Christensen

• 8.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

Posted Apr 07, 2021 04:07 PM
    That worked! I removed the space after the comma. Thank you very much!

Eric Christensen

• 9.  RE: 11 Aruba-215's, trying to use multiple wlan zones on different access points

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 07, 2021 04:52 PM
    Awesome :)

Dustin Burns