Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

procedure on integrating a new switch to a production stack

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  procedure on integrating a new switch to a production stack

Posted Oct 14, 2021 01:49 AM
    Good Morning,
    Is there a procedure that indicates how to integrate a new switch to a production stack step by step?
    I need to know if it entails a cut in its operation, if at the time of connecting it it is better to be off and then turn it on, the configurations that are created directly ........

(config)# show modules
    Status and Counters - Module Information
    Chassis: 2930F-48G-740W-PoE+-4SFP+ JL558A
    Thank you.

------------------------------
    Nacho Marin

• 2.  RE: procedure on integrating a new switch to a production stack

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 14, 2021 02:57 AM
    Hello Nacho, since you named the Aruba 2930F and a production stack we suppose you're dealing with an already formed VSF Stack made of two or more Aruba 2930F switches and your plan is to add another Aruba 2930F switch to that VSF Stack. Is it correct? If so I suggest you to read the Backplane Stacking and VSF Best Practices for ArubaOS-Switch thread and, particularly, to have a look at the attached PDF, there you will find the Alpha and Omega of dealing with an VSF Stack for its deployment, maintenance and troubleshooting.

First of all you need to check how the current production VSF was built (topology, involved members, etc.) and what is its current health status, then you can plan how you want to connect (if the VSF uses a ring topology you necessarily need to break the ring to insert the new member, if instead the VSF uses a chain topology you just need to add the new switch at one end of the chain) and how you want to provision the additional member.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: procedure on integrating a new switch to a production stack

Posted Oct 14, 2021 03:17 AM
    Thank you.
    VSF uses a ring topology, I necessarily need to break the ring to insert the new member. the new member switch is factory defaulted.
    I don't exactly see my stage. When you include it in the ring, does it have to be off and after connecting it it turns on? As I understand it is added directly by acquiring all global settings.

Nacho Marin

• 4.  RE: procedure on integrating a new switch to a production stack

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 14, 2021 10:59 AM
    Hi Nacho, breaking a ring creates a chain so inserting a new VSF Member into your VSF Stack ring means simply to create the necessary logical VSF Links on the Switch you're going to add (you need two VSF links, one for each VSF Chain's end...since the Switch will close the VSF Chain to reform the initial VSF Ring) and to use the provisioning method you like more (as per guide).

Davide Poletto