Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IOS Connection issues Slowness

This thread has been viewed 51 times
  • 1.  IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 20 days ago
    Hello,

We are having issues with wireless mostly in one building with about 20 classrooms. Users are having issues connecting ios devices to WPA-2 and radius networks and experiencing slow speeds. Mostly one AP to one classroom so I think coverage is fine. I have noticed low signals when moving to classrooms so I think possibly a sticky client issue? I have client match enabled and power settings are: 12  18. I am on version 8.5.0.4 with a 7205 controller I do not have the VMM deployed yet. I should mention we have Airwave and I am not seeing any major association or authentication issues. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue could be? Would installing the VMM improve ARM that drastically?

Thank You for any input. 
    MJF

------------------------------
    Marc Facella

• 2.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 20 days ago
    How many clients?  How many access points?  How many SSIDs?  Do you have broadcast filtering enabled on your Virtual APS?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 20 days ago
    The APs are 515s each AP at it's busiest has approx. 25-40 clients with an average of approx. 20 clients, total clients campus wide is approx. 1200. total access points campus wide is 86. AP group in question has 4 SSIDs. I have and checked (enabled) 

Thank You,

MJF

Marc Facella

• 4.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 19 days ago
    Are you running at 20, 40 or 80 mhz wide 5ghz channels?  On the MM click on Overview> Radios> Click on the bar graphs.  How is your channel utilization and quality?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 19 days ago
    We are using 20 and 40 mhz. I disabled 80 mhz. I will get back to you on Monday when we have classes in session for the Channel info.

Thank you,

MJF

Marc Facella

• 6.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 19 days ago
    There is no harm in using only 20 mhz channels in high density environments.  It can provide the best performance.

• 7.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi Marc,

Some action you can take:

• Login on the MC and run the command "show user mac ##:##:##:##:##:##", look for SNR, Client Health, radio, channel, frame retry rate and error rate. Please share the details
    • You firmware 8.5.0.4 is old (oct2019) and is not a conservative release, update to 8.5.0.12 (march2021), this version is conservative and patch many bugs and securtity patches.
    • Check if your issue is only for specific type of client devices or different type of devices, always update your client drivers for best result (halfyear old=old).
    • Depends on your AP distance, max. 18dBM 60mW could be little high in some environments, check for co-channel interference with a spectrum analyser. (if you not have advanced analyser, try WinFi tool for free). But if this is true all clients should focus the same issues on the same channel.
    • Try to disable HE SSID / WiFi6, some client devices drivers have issue with it.
    • Also check the performance of the ethernet infrastrucure backhaul.
    • Perform a validation survey with a tool like the Ekahau Sidekick

For urgent matters always open a Aruba TAC case.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 8.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi Marcel,

This is from a user who was having an issue:

Parameter                            Value

---------                            -----

Channel                              149

Channel Frame Retry Rate(%)          10

Channel Frame Low Speed Rate(%)      0

Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    25

Channel Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)  0

Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          0

Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         55

Channel Noise                        98

Client Frame Retry Rate(%)           0

Client Frame Low Speed Rate(%)       0

Client Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)     0

Client Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)   0

Client Frame Receive Error Rate(%)   0

Client Bandwidth Rate(kbps)          0

Client Tx Packets                    170181

Client Rx Packets                    78265

Client Tx Bytes                      18890946

Client Rx Bytes                      50068618

Client SNR                           50

A2c_SM SeqNum, Old SeqNums           21 0

Thank You

Marc Facella

• 9.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi Marc,

A client SNR of 50dBM means that the signal strength is excellent and the client is probably very close to the access point. Also a Channel frame retry rate of 10% is nothing to worry about (can be up to 20% by most design rules). Channel 149 is in the UNII-3 band and some clients cannot support it, better only use UNNI-1, UNNI2, UNII-2extended is what I would apply, but I don't think it contributes to your problem.

The Channel Frame None Unicaste Rate of 25% (ie broadcast + multicast) seems to me on the high side. Do you have broadcast / mulitcast optimization features enabled?

A client health "fair or poor" can be the cause that the client has just come online and has detected too few frames to display the status correctly. Always check how many frames have been sent.

Personally, I would stick to the conservative firmware releases (8.5.012 at this point) until there is a good reason or feature requirement not to do so.

In the release notes of the new ArubaOS 8.8.0.0 I also see some fixes, such as; Performance degradation was observed in AP-535 access points running ArubaOS 8.7.0.0 when OFDMA was enabled in the wlan he-ssid-profile command (AOS-205666).

With issues like this, it is probably best to sign up a TAC support ticket for a quick fix. They can troubleshoot more than we can help you with in the forum.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 10.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 14 days ago
    Yes I have broadcast / mulitcast optimization features enabled?
    I will put in a TAC ticket if I continue to have issues.

Thank You

Marc Facella

• 11.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 16 days ago
    Most of the radios are showing excellent channel quality and utilization. A couple are showing fair or good. I'm seeing interference on about 25 clients on the 2.4 ghz radios some interference around 10% percent but the channel quality is still excellent on those radios. Not seeing interference on the 5 ghz radios.

Marcel I will try your suggestions

Thanks everyone

Marc Facella

• 12.  RE: IOS Connection issues Slowness

Posted 18 days ago

We are having similar issues with iPhone 12 Pro Max s and iPhone XR's. We have also had reports from Android users but can't confirm.

We are running 8.7.1.2 in on  7240's and the issue appears in buildings where we upgraded from 225's to 535's.  We have 3 SSIDs and have broadcast filtering enabled.

Laptops and iPhone 7s don't have issues and simply disabling and re-enabling the wireless on the phones fixes the issues temporarily.

We disabled HE features in one building and are still having issues there.

We have TAC open and are working through changes requested by the TAC.

Neil Johnson