Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with IMC and Airwave network management solutions.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave for backups only?

• 1.  Airwave for backups only?

Posted 17 days ago
    I am hoping to configure Airwave to get backups of switch configs, but not to push changes to them. I've read the user guide and a number of posts, but am still not sure if this is possible.

I believe I need to have a group with Audit Configuration set to Yes, and for Aruba switches there is a choice for "Push full template configuration and reboot the switch" that I assume should be "factory-default only". Is that enough? The way I read it, it will try to bring configurations in line once I set this up and that is not what I want.

My understanding is that if I have a group template, it can indicate mismatches, but I am unsure if that would then cause it to try to correct those. For example, it would be helpful to have a template for a few basic settings that I want to have on each switch, but I don't want it to remove other settings in favor of only what is in the template. I am not sure if this is possible.

For Cisco switches, does this hold as well? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Airwave for backups only?

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Jason,

There are two management modes on AirWave server:

Monitor only mode:
    In this mode, the AMP server only monitors the device. It cannot push any configuration to the devices under any circumstance.

Manage Read/Write mode:  In this mode, AMP has the capability to push configuration to the IAP/controller/swith along with monitoring the device.

Just add your devices in monitory only.

------------------------------
    marcel koedijk

• 3.  RE: Airwave for backups only?

Posted 16 days ago
    I have a group in monitor only mode, but it does not pull a backup of the config. It seems you have to be in manage mode in order to do that, is that correct? And in that case, how does a template work? What config will it try to push or not? That is what I cannot seem to get clarity about. Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Airwave for backups only?

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi Janson,

Monitor mode will backup your switch configurations, managed mode isn't needed for that. Be sure you have your switch SSH credentials configured when add the device in airwave.

Hope this helps you...

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 5.  RE: Airwave for backups only?

Posted 16 days ago
    It has ssh credentials, and I can go to Monitor > Troubleshooting and run commands there. But in Devices > Config, there are no config backups or jobs listed, and if I click the "Back Up Now" button it says "Back Up Action is being performed" but no config backup ever shows up. On same screen, it shows:

StatusUp (OK)
    ConfigurationUnknown(Settings not yet read from device)

• 6.  RE: Airwave for backups only?

Posted 16 days ago
    Don't no what the issue is but all my installation are in monitored only mode and backups working out of the box when add a device snmp/ssh credentials. Maybe try to create a new clean group without any changes.

What version of airwave do you run? And what switch model you like to backup?

• 7.  RE: Airwave for backups only?

Posted 10 days ago
    I figured this out. I believe the issue was that in the group settings, I had Audit Configuration on Devices set to No. I misunderstood this to mean that Airwave would push config changes, but that is determined by the Management Level when you add a device (Monitor Only + Firmware Upgrades or Manage Read/Write).

So, once I set the group Audit setting to Yes, it immediately pulled the config. The devices are still in Monitor Only mode, so it will not push changes.