Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

This thread has been viewed 48 times
  • 1.  AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 03:43 PM
    I am deploying a new AirWave server - currently running 8.2.8.1 out of the box - and I've added the new AirWave server as a MON Receiver using the "default-amp" profile to the VMM and all Managed Devices which are running 8.6.0.6 and 8.6.0.5 respectively. We have an older server that is configured as "AirWave" under the AirWave tab, so before removing it, I wanted to make sure everything was ported over successfully. 

Most of the MDs are reporting the correct number of APs, however, a couple are showing as 0 APs, but in reality they have a few hundred. The MDs are in a L2 connected cluster and the APs are load balanced about 50/50. One of the MDs is showing correctly, but the other is not. The MON Receiver config was done at the group level, so both MDs in the group received the same change.

I'm a little unsure of what to look at here or how to "jumpstart" the data to AirWave. I did reboot the AirWave server, but that did not resolve.

Thanks for the help!

------------------------------
    Michael Haring
    Sr. Network and Communications Expert

Kudos is always appreciated!

• 2.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 03:48 PM
    AP up down status will be polled over SNMP. Would be good to check the SNMP configuration for these controller. What is the status of these controllers on Airwave? By any chance are these APs showing up under new device list?

Vishnu Mannil

• 3.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 19, 2021 01:35 AM
    Hey Matt, so a couple of things. Looking at the release notes for AirWave 8.2.x it only supports up to ArubaOS 8.4.x. So i'd consider upgrading to a later version which provides support for the ArubaOS version you are running.  Have you also configured to Prefer AMON over SNMP within AirWave?

Craig Syme

• 4.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP
    Posted Feb 19, 2021 07:46 AM
    Our existing AirWave environment is running 8.2.8.2 and working properly with our WLAN environment on 8.6.0.6 / 8.6.0.5. For good measure, i upgraded the new AirWave to 8.2.9.1 and deleted/rediscovered the controllers with missing APs - neither step was successful. We do have AMON data collection enabled on AirWave and prefer AMON is defaulted to yes.

Michael Haring

• 5.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP
    Posted Feb 19, 2021 07:44 AM
    SNMP configuration is pushed from Managed Network level, so SNMP trap receivers and community strings are the same on all Managed Devices and separately configured on the Mobility Master level as well for our VMM. The controllers are all showing up and configuration is good.

Michael Haring

• 6.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2021 12:33 PM
    If controller is up in Airwave but not discovering associated APs in Airwave then check if Discovery or Device monitor service is showing down under system > status page.

Make sure Date & time in sync.

We can run snmp walk from AMPCLI > Advanced > Enter commands to know status of AP. We can check whether controller is responding for manual walk.

$sw2 <device id> wlanAPStatus

or
    $sw3 <device id > wlanAPStatus

Note: Replace device id of controller, we can get id from Devices > Monitor page URL of controller in Airwave.

example

https://10.23.1x4.xxx/ap_monitoring?id=1166

Pavan Arshewar
    Principal Network Engineer

If my post addresses your query, give kudos!

• 7.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP
    Posted Feb 22, 2021 06:36 PM
    Thank you Pavan for the information, i checked the status of the Discovery and Device Monitor services, both are running. I verified clock is in sync via NTP on both controller and AirWave, and i tried the SNMP Walk, but it errored on the "wlanAPStatus" part.

In a last ditch effort, I restarted the snmpd process on the controller and initiated a new poll on the controller to see if it pulls in any new APs. It appears that APs are slowly trickling into AirWave, so I'm testing a few theories, such as rebooting an AP to see if it shows up after power cycling. No info on the results yet. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Michael Haring

AirHeads MVP 2017, 2019-2021

• 8.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP
    Posted Feb 22, 2021 06:42 PM
    I'm now seeing the event in the Event Logs of the server, but not really sure why it would timeout on SNMP - 

Mon Feb 22 18:40:08 2021 System Device Aruba 7220 Aruba7220-01 Error in SNMP polling: Timeout(thin_ap_discovery)

Michael Haring

• 9.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 01:23 PM
    We generally see snmp timeouts , if NAD device not responding to Airwave snmp get request.

If NAD device is busy or have performance issue or network delay we end up with this snmp timeouts.

If there is no performance issues in NAD devices, we can try increase snmp timeout/retries values under Device > communication page.

Pavan Arshewar
    Principal Network Engineer

If my post addresses your query, give kudos!

• 10.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 02:23 PM
    Hi Michael,

AirWave 8.2.8.2 is end of support 30 April 2020
    Airwave 8.2.9.1 is end of support 18 Juli 2020

Its a good starting point is to start with a supported version like 8.2.12.0 before getting troubleshooting.

See also:
    End of life page, link.
    Security Advisories page, link.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 11.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 04:10 PM
    Thanks for the info, I had already planned upgrading to 8.2.11.2, but had to get some time to work with TAC on the CentOS6 to 7 upgrade. Took a few hours due to some unexpected issues, but was eventually successful. We are now running 8.2.11.2 (don't want to go to a .0 release) and still encountering the same problem. 

We ran some snmpwalk from Linux server and found that it was taking a much larger amount of time to complete in comparison to the controllers who did not have issue with AP / client count accuracy. 

I will be removing our legacy AirWave server from the controller configs tomorrow, leaving only our new server and will evaluate if there is any improvement. 

Thanks!

Michael Haring

• 12.  RE: AirWave Not All APs Showing Up

MVP
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 04:11 PM
    Thanks, we were seeing some slowness in response to an snmpwalk from a Linux server at our DC. We compared a controller that reported all of it's APs correctly to one that isn't and there is a clear difference in response to the snmp query. 

Tomorrow I will be removing the old AirWave server from our controller's config and replacing with our new one - I will run some polls and verify if there is a noticeable difference.

Michael Haring