Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

This thread has been viewed 49 times
  • 1.  Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 26, 2021 10:59 PM
    Hi,

I would like to know whether CX 6100 SFP+ port are compatible with DAC cable? Because in CX 6100 datasheet, I did not see the DAC mentioned in it.

thanks
    regards

------------------------------
    hinze a

• 2.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 02:07 AM
    Hi hinze,

have a look at this document:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00028947en_us

the 6100 and 6300, both support the following DAC cables, J9281B/J9281D, those are the 1m DAC cables. 

BR
    Florian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 3.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 02:29 AM
    Hi Florian,

the AOS-CX 6100 Series does not support any DAC cable. 

Thats a bad decision Aruba made.

greetings,
    Klaus

Klaus-Dieter Kromer

• 4.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 03:18 AM
    Hi all, exactly...currently (I would add) - thus as of today with the very latest AOS-CX 10.08.1010 - the Aruba CX 6100 Switch series still does not support any DAC Cable but this restriction - paradoxically - doesn't also mean that you can't try the allow-unsupported-transceiver way since "unsupported" doesn't exactly mean that it doesn't/can't work (exactly like when the Transceiver/DAC is unsupported but recognized by the Switch, that condition doesn't necessarily mean it will work without issues).

You would give it a try IF you already own an Aruba CX 6100 Switch and a short Aruba DAC to test together (with short I mean less than 5 meters long: so the 1 meter long J9281D or the 3 meters long J9283D <- this restriction is due to the PHY-less architecture of Aruba CX 6100).

Anyway, as usual, please remember that the usage of unsupported Transceivers/DACs/AOCs is at your risk and may void product support and warranty.

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 09:03 AM
    Hi Davide,

Actually, I am looking for a model to propose to my customer, so I don't have a real machine to test out.
    Yes, I wouldn't propose a solution that might void the warranty. 
    Your input is very helpful :)

regards

hinze a

• 6.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 10:19 AM
    Hi Hinze, I ignore your requirements/restrictions/budget but if your goal is to interconnect an Aruba CX 6300 with another Aruba CX switch model of a lower end series (thus considering the Aruba CX 6000, 6100 or 6200 Switch series) and you need to deploy that interconnection by using 1 meter or 3 meters long DAC cables then I believe that the only viable way is to use a model of the Aruba CX 6200 Switch series...at least considering the current AOS-CX software versions (those versions directly drive what a switch supports in terms of DACs...as example).

Davide Poletto

• 7.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 05:31 AM
    correct, it was way to early and my brain was still sleeping :)

Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 8.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 08:58 AM
    Hi Florian,

No worry :) your response is very much appreciated.

regards

hinze a

• 9.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 08:56 AM
    Hi Klaus,

Thank you for pointed out the document. Appreciate your response:)

regards

hinze a

• 10.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Oct 11, 2021 11:08 PM
    Hello and welcome  Hinz a

heres what i found  we look forward to hearing more from you ...

have a great one...

Cert Seeker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRn9DXNPpSg

Derrick Vaughn

• 11.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 19, 2022 09:38 PM
    after a few months Aruba Networks released a compatability list its located inside the Aruba Portal under Resources ...Its filled with all the compatable dac cables and sfp devices to choose from

Editors note: i recently found out that the DAC cable isnt the only way to connect to your network ,
    im using a 1000base__rj45 sfp by 10gTEK and using the allow command i was able to use this schememfor my network'.

Thank you

Cert Seeker