Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Apr 17, 2019 10:05 PM

Hello all,

We recently have been starting a small rollout of Aruba access points in some of our campuses. Today we got a 7240 installed in our data center running the latest 8.4 code. As a test, we put an Aruba 515 in our office to play with, but note that in this building the rest of the 14 APs are Cisco. 

We also have a test VLAN and network set up for our Aruba gear that is not part of the production network. But the Aruba AP is broadcasting the same 4 SSIDs that the Cisco APs are. (But when you connect to the Aruba AP you are obviously getting IP from the test network)

I’m getting pretty crappy performance (0.05mpbs at times) out of this 515 and my SE is saying it is due to the rest of the building being Cisco and that the Aruba and Cisco APs are viewing each other as rogues. And that we will have much better performance on our remote campus when they are all switched over to Aruba APs.

But the channel utilization on the Aruba controller is showing around 10-15% interference so it seems like it may be a bigger problem than that. 

I am running 20mhz channels on the 2.4 radio and 20/40Mhz on the 5Ghz radio on my Aruba AP.

Has anyone here ran Cisco/Aruba in the same building with the same SSIDs? Should I be looking into settings that can help solve the rogue issue (if that is the case)? 

• 2.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2019 11:34 PM

If your client is connecting to the 2.4ghz radio and there is alot of cochannel interference, that might be your issue.  You need to confirm your channel width on the Aruba network and the Cisco network and see if you are facing cochannel interference there, as well...

• 3.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Apr 18, 2019 12:35 AM
    That’s the strange thing too. The clients I connected with all used the 5GHz radio. Performance was terrible. Could there be issues with both broadcasting the same 4 SSIDs ?

• 4.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2019 03:05 AM

There definitely could be an issue.

• 5.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Jan 20, 2021 10:59 AM
    I would think that there would be issues when you roam between systems as having the same ssid the device would just move to the new ap and then have to get a new IP address.  we have seen where some devices automatically do dhcp again and change ip address but some do not.  we are planning to do a migration like this in the near future but the vlan/ip addresses would stay the same so I would expect that the roaming would be seamless (maybe some dealy in roaming between the two systems but that should only be for initial auth when going to the new system (cisco / Aruba).

------------------------------
    Dave Abels

• 6.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Jan 20, 2021 02:32 PM
    Hi,
    I agree with you, better to keep the same IP addresses for the clients. Maybe get new IP space for the AP.
    I will keep you posted with my migration project challenges. 
    Amin Amor
    Your network partner in Luxembourg

• 7.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Apr 18, 2019 10:40 AM

Interesting find. I found that when I went from WPA3 auth to WPA2 auth, it seemed to fix all my slowness issues. Anyone else see these kind of issues when using WPA2 or WPA3?

• 8.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Jan 14, 2021 11:06 AM
    Do you have any other tips regarding the migration from Cisco to Aruba?
    Anyone has a document with migration best practices.
    Thanks in advance

Amin Amor

• 9.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

MVP
    Posted Jan 15, 2021 09:55 AM
    When we migrated out University yeas ago, we first migrated the residences that were geographically separated from the campus classroom buildings during a break between semesters.

We then tried to migrate other areas during low usage times, usually overnight, to try an minimize coverage overlap of the two systems.

Bruce Osborne

• 10.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Jan 15, 2021 10:14 AM
    Thanks for your reply, I'm curious about what kind of issues you encountered especially when both networks are advertising the same SSID at the same location:
    • Roaming issues
    • Did you assigned new IP addresses to the clients or used the same IP space as before?
    • Any issues with sticky clients "to Cisco AP" in a BYOD environment?
    • ANy DHCP issue caused by the same client requesting addresses on different networks?
    In my case, I can only migrate per floor (Client can see the same SSID advertised by Aruba and Cisco). No low activity period.

Amin Amor
    Your network partner in Luxembourg

• 11.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

MVP
    Posted Jan 15, 2021 10:31 AM
    I do not recall. That was way back in early 2009. We moved from Cisco fat APs.

Much has changed since that time and I was not personally involved in the installations.

Bruce Osborne

• 12.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

MVP
    Posted Jan 16, 2021 09:43 AM

We are in the process of migrating from Cisco to Aruba on campus as well. In order to facilitate a smoother transition, we set up a different ssid (actually 3, one for.1x, one guest, and one IOT (Mac based with MPSK)).

The vlans are different, ip ranges are new (and larger to accommodate more devices), and there are many more APs. That allowed us to leave the Cisco stuff alone - it still works, and the user can still connect, but we plastered signs about the campus advising everyone of the new networks. 

Since the process is different, it allows us to train users without denying access to those with existing devices. They can take a few weeks to cut over devices and our help desk isn't over burdened with students moving in with connecting issues. 

Through the semester we will begin to remove the old Cisco devices, which will force those still on the old to switch, but at a moderate pace. 

It also lets us refine the process, instructions, etc with less pressure to make sure all the bugs are worked out. If it's busted, they can connect to old-network until we can figure out their issue to get them on new-network. 

hth
     good luck!

Phillip Horn

• 13.  RE: Cisco/Aruba Coexistence/Rogue Issues?

Posted Jan 20, 2021 03:52 PM
    Hi,

-when I am doing cisco to aruba migration, always matching ssid data(mcs) rates equal to existing CISCO SSIDs. this will reduce roaming delay between two controllers.
    -as per my understanding Aruba controller will not react for rogue APs unless you set any rules, also rogue ap will not affect for user performance. only interference can affect for performance.

Harendra
    ACDX#1129|ACEP|CWSP|CWNA|CCNA