Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Layer -3 Roaming

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Layer -3 Roaming

Posted Feb 22, 2021 10:04 PM
    Hi, 

We have 2 different Wireless Networks (different floors) managed by two separate VC's through Aruba Central. Both Networks are separated at layer-3 boundaries . As expected Clients are having connectivity issue when they move between floors. 

I am familiar with CAPWAP deployment for Cisco and Aruba IPsec / GRE solutions to overcome this issue for Access points managed through Physical Wireless Controllers . 

does the same approach works for cloud based deployments as I see the option for configuring VPN services in the portal?

Are there any design guides / best practices to follow for such deployments?

Thanks In Advance !

------------------------------
    Akshay

• 2.  RE: Layer -3 Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2021 08:05 AM
    If your clients are going to obtain different ip addresses between both networks, their applications will time out and have difficulty.  You might as well make the two networks different names so that the client knows to drop one connection before picking up the other...

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Layer -3 Roaming

Posted Feb 24, 2021 11:08 AM

Thanks for your response 

Its exactly how it is today i.e. 2 different networks.

Clients will have to drop off from the 1st floor wireless network  and connect to 2nd floor network when they roam. YES this is sometimes manual as your cell / laptop thinks that you are still in 1st floor you can still connect to 1st floor wireless network but physically you might be in 2 floor so you will end seeing "poor connection" message. 

We are looking at having 1 Wireless network for both floor. There are 2 options that I can think of here to extend layer-2 across layer-3 boundaries. 

1. Using  CAPWAP / Aruba IPsec tunnel to wireless controllers (WLC), but the problem with this is there is no physical controller anywhere is the environment all IAP's are cloud managed. 
    2. Using VxLAN across 2 switch stacks to form one broadcast domain. 

My question here is :
    does option 1 works for cloud deployment ? if so, how would it work ?  and where would be the tunnel termination sourcing from IAP's?

option 2 might work but for VxLAN we might have to account for jumbo packets as it add 50 bytes to packet header thoughts ?. Our switch stacks are ARUBA 2930M (Cloud managed) 

Are there any better options to encounter this problem ?

Thank you again 

Akshay Puttaswamy