Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

This thread has been viewed 72 times
  • 1.  7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

Posted Apr 29, 2021 01:58 PM
    Hi

I am new to Aruba wireless, what would be the best way or procedure to upgrade my Aruba Controller 7210 from 6.x to 8.x firmware?
    Current firmware is 6.5.4.8. I have 120 Active APs with 3 groups.

Thank You.

------------------------------
    Enrico Cayetano

• 2.  RE: 7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 29, 2021 02:47 PM
    An upgrade to 8.x from any 6.x version would mean a wiped and rebuilt configuration. When you go to 8.x, the configuration of the controller will be wiped, and there is no restore from backup if the backup is from 6.x.

I would recommend managing it via Mobility Conductor. This way if you only have one controller, you can build out the configuration there first instead of doing it all during one cut window.

If you do have a spare controller, I would build and test on that, and then migrate the APs to the new controller.

Dustin Burns

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: 7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

Posted Apr 29, 2021 09:15 PM
    Thank you for your response.

I have a spare 7210 controller which is also in 6.x firmware and I'm planning to use it as a backup controller in the future, so the best way would be

1) Upgrade the firmware of the spare controller to 8.x via local file or USB?
    2) Copy/Create the same configuration from the existing controller to the new 8.x spare controller?

What about the Centralized Licences from the old 6.x controller? Will it work in the new 8.x controller? Or do I have to convert my licenses?
    and what will happen to the 120 running APs if I replace the existing controller with the spare which is upgraded to firmware 8.x?

Thank You !

Enrico Cayetano

• 4.  RE: 7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 29, 2021 09:25 PM

1. Doesn't matter either way to get it to the 8.x version you want to be on.

2. yes duplicate the config on the 8.x controller. Most will copy over, but some syntax will change. You will also need to recustomize your internal captive portal if you use that, install certificates, and move any user/whitelist databases if in use in 6.x

You can migrate the licenses to the 8.x controller and still be licensed on the 6.x while you transition. 

Your APs will upgrade to the 8.x version once they terminate in the 8.x controller. Make sure your APs are supported in that version first though. You can find this in the release notes for the version you want to go to.

Dustin Burns

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 5.  RE: 7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

Posted May 05, 2021 03:40 AM
    Hi,

Just a quick question, I've downloaded the ArubaOS 8.x firmware but it seems that there's no extension file type? Is this good for uploading via local file?

Thank You !

Enrico Cayetano

• 6.  RE: 7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2021 05:18 AM
    yes

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: 7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

Posted May 05, 2021 10:25 PM
    Hi,

What about the 6.x licenses that is connected in the S/N of the existing device? Can I transfer it to the 8.x S/N of my spare controller? Because I remember that in the HP portal the licenses is attach to the S/N of the existing controller.

Thanks.

Enrico Cayetano

• 8.  RE: 7210 Controller Firmware Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2021 04:19 AM
    yes

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.