Developer

View Only
last person joined: 7 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

AP-515 BLE local device name

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  AP-515 BLE local device name

Posted May 11, 2021 11:33 AM

I'm using a 92xx series standalone controller and a couple of AP-515 access points to do some IoT development.  Works great, but one weird thing is annoying me.  When I enabled beaconing on the access points it works fine - the beacon is coming out in iBeacon format, the major and minor are whatever i set them to (just 1,1 for now), the UUID is as I configured it.  An iBeacon doesn't include a device name, but most software lets you query it.  It does this by making a GAP connection back to the device then using GATT service 0x1800 to retrieve the device name.  What comes back is 9AAA0RRC2A9... 

I don't know if that name is meaningful.  My guess is it probably is.  I don't think there's any way in the AOS CLI to change it.  What I suspect is that there's some microcontroller on the AP that has some firmware in it that handles the actual BLE stuff and just passes the info back and forth to the AP's CPU via something (USB, serial, SPI, who knows).  I would expect HPE to have written that software, but when I asked my contact at HPE they told me to ask Nordic.

It would be nice to be able to change this name to something more meaningful.  Does anybody know if this is possible?

Here's the beacon that comes out.

ap ble-configure ap-name DAZZLE cfg-ble-mac 28:de:65:xx:xx:xx major 1 minor 1 txpower 15

------------------------------
    Christopher Piggott

• 2.  RE: AP-515 BLE local device name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2021 05:24 PM
    @AK68 for help! ​

Karthikeyan Dhandapani

• 3.  RE: AP-515 BLE local device name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2021 05:02 AM
    Hi Christopher, 

There is currently no way to set the BLE local device name.

Jens Fluegel

• 4.  RE: AP-515 BLE local device name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2021 10:06 AM
    The local name field contents are controlled by Aruba. It is not user-editable. Only the advertisements are configurable ie iBeacon parameters (major, minor and UUID).

Ankur Kamthe