Wireless Water Cooler

View Only
last person joined: 11 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Which Log file in Support?

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Which Log file in Support?

Posted Oct 20, 2020 05:55 AM

Hi 

I am relatively new to Aruba and brand new to the forum.

I have an AP515 test network using Virtual Controller. I have 3 AP's in the cluster. I have been trying to find the cause of intermittent disconnections of certain client devices on my network. I am trying to find out which of the log/dump files available in the "Support" area of the VC would be best for diagnosing the cause of a client disconnecting and when in fact it happened. I can see successful connections and movements between AP's but struggle to understand when and why something may have dropped offline. Does anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Which Log file in Support?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2020 04:45 AM

What helps for me is to configure syslog to an external server to collect all APs logging in a single place. There you can see during roaming the client disconnecting from one AP and connecting to another. That is harder to do in the UI.

Then, logs that I used in the past, which you should run per AP:

show clients     (see the active clients)
    show ap association   (see associated/connected clients)
    show ap debug client-table   (more verbose of the first command)
    show ap debug auth-trace-buf  (authentication, if happening)
    show ap arm history        (channel/power history for the AP)

Then there is 'tech-support' that runs all commands that may be relevant and the output of that has lots of information, but also may be hard to read and is initially intended for Aruba support to analyze. Support may help you to troubleshoot your issue.

As you mention the 515 AP, please aware that in some 8.6 releases there is an identified issue for specific the AP 505 and 515, which is resolved in 8.7. You may try to upgrade to 8.7.0.1 to see if that resolves the issue.

• 3.  RE: Which Log file in Support?

Posted Oct 30, 2020 06:25 AM
    Thanks Herman - I'll set up the syslog and take a look.
    With regards to the logs available in the UI (or command line) is there anything that specifies a reason for a disconnect or does it simply note roaming to other ap's. I'm trying to pin down why a particular set of devices are dropping offline and then requiring a reboot to re attach.

------------------------------
    Jon Martin

• 4.  RE: Which Log file in Support?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2020 05:27 AM
    The log file has the association/connect and disassociation/disconnect events with reasons like roam, or client left. For a roam you will see on one AP the association and on another the disassociation with a message similar to 'roamed to another AP'.

The logs may be somewhat verbose and some information may be too detailed, so if you get stuck please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba Support to analyze the data.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC.

• 5.  RE: Which Log file in Support?

Posted Nov 02, 2020 06:21 AM

One of the great features of np++ is the tail -f option (View --> tail -f) Upsers.com

It follows the end of the open file, so any changes written to the logfile automatically scroll in the editor.

Caldwell Vasquezi