Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

This thread has been viewed 80 times
  • 1.  AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 03, 2021 05:38 PM
    I am trying to add an AP-303H to my existing IAP-215(s). I currently have three IAP-215 all running instant 8.6.0.6_77124

I purchased the AP-303H (three, actually) on eBay and all have the same symptoms(?):
    When powered up, the system status led glows red, then briefly flashes green once, then slowly blinks green, forever.
    When I try to do a factory reset the system status led follows the same pattern. I do not get a flashing green light and then another flashing green light 15 seconds later. I have followed the reset procedure multiple times on each of the three AP-303H ap's.

The radio status and poe-pse status leds never turn on.

I have tried this with no ethernet cable connecting the AP-303H to my un-managed network switch.
    I have also tried it with an ethernet cable connecting them. When the cable is plugged in, I get a solid green status light on the switch (green = 1000mbits) and a randomly blinking green led on the E0 port on the AP-303H.

Is it possible that all three of these access points are locked down in such a way that they will not do a factory reset?

Or perhaps all three are defective?

Sure would appreciate any help and/or advice as to what is happening here.

------------------------------
    Mark

• 2.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2021 12:59 AM
    Are you able to SSH to them?  What does it show?  I am guessing it will be in a restricted/degraded state due to version mismatch.
    Plug them in one at a time into a different subnet and upgrade to 8.6.0.6_77124.  Then plug them back into the network with the existing IAP215.

Michael Clarke (Aruba)

• 3.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 04, 2021 08:44 AM
    Thank you for the response Michael.

I do not know how to ssh to the ap so I can't tell you what information that may reveal.
    I do not have a subnet, this is just my home network consisting of four switches that are connected to the router/modem.

I have tried doing a factory reset on the two AP-303H (the third one has already been returned to the seller) while they were not connected to my network.

So far I have tried powering up each ap with and again without a network cable attached and also tried powering them up with the reset button pressed both with and without a network cable attached. In all cases I see the same thing. When power is applied, the system status led glows red, briefly flashes green once then blinks green. The green blinking is about 1 second on, 1 second off and continues until the ap is disconnected from the power source. I tried a reset last night and left it alone until this morning and the status led was still blinking this morning.

The radio status led never comes on in any color and I do not get an ssid broadcast from the ap.

I am confused as to why the factory reset procedure does not reset these aps to the default factory settings. The reset process does not seem to be doing anything at all. There is no change in the led pattern whether I power them up with or without the reset button pressed. Is there some other way to reset these ap's to factory defaults?

Mark Engel

• 4.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2021 09:06 AM
    The green blinking means 'device is booting.  not ready'.  Do you have one of the console cables for this AP model?  Would need to see the boot cycle to see what is happening.
    Does the AP get an ip.address?  Can you ping it?

Michael Clarke (Aruba)

• 5.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 04, 2021 09:17 AM
    I do not have a console cable for any ap.

The ap-303h does not get an ip address so I cannot ping it.

Mark Engel

• 6.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 04, 2021 09:53 AM
    A completely different question. Would an AP11D instant-On wap work with my existing IAP-215/InstantOS installation?

Mark Engel

• 7.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2021 10:14 AM
    The AP needs an ip address, else it will never work.
    InstantON won't work with a standard IAP.

Michael Clarke (Aruba)

• 8.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 04, 2021 10:56 AM
    Okay thanks.

So, is there any way to fix this, or are both of these ap's bricked?

Mark Engel

• 9.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2021 11:02 AM
    They are not bricked.  Most likely they are just not getting an ip address.  Check your dhcp setup.

Michael Clarke (Aruba)

• 10.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 04, 2021 11:18 AM
    I understand that they are not getting an ip address, but why would that prevent them from allowing a factory reset?

My dhcp setup is working as it should. I have added a few devices to my network with no problems over the past several weeks. Dhcp is being served by the router/modem.

It seems like the problem is that the units will not reset and they will not complete the boot process with the current configuration. What I am trying to determine is whether I can get at least one of these to reset so that it will boot to a point where it will be accessible. I don't see how it will ever pull an ip address if it does not continue booting.

Mark Engel

• 11.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2021 11:38 AM
    So when you reset it, the leds blinked a few times quickly? 
    Unplug the power and then with reset button pressed, power on again and release after it flashes a bunch of times quickly.
    You should get a console cable for this model to see what is really going on.  It is AP-CBL-SERU.

Michael Clarke (Aruba)

• 12.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 04, 2021 12:02 PM
    No, the system status led does not flash green quickly. As soon as power is supplied to the unit the led starts off red then starts to blink slowly green (1 second on, 1 second off). I never get the quick flashing green led.

The radio status led never turns on.

Mark Engel

• 13.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Jan 08, 2021 08:43 AM
    A final followup.

I continued to try getting the two AP-303H to work. One would not so I returned it to the seller.
    After trying several more times to get the second one to reset, it finally did. It took a long time, about 15 minutes or more to reboot and show up on the virtual controller web page.

I have no idea what the problem was, but it is working now as it should.

Mark Engel

• 14.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Nov 05, 2021 11:17 AM
    Hello Mark,

I have the same problem as you. I tryed many times to factory reset the AP303H but I cant. How you did it, trying again and again until it resets (for 15 minutes trying)?

Thanks!

Haxier

Haxi ja

• 15.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Nov 06, 2021 09:19 AM
    Hi Haxier,

I am not sure what finally got the AP to reset. I simply followed the reset procedure and then let it sit for 15-20 minutes. After that I was able to find the ip address of the AP and it showed up on the Instant virtual controller web page.

Has been working just fine since then.

Mark Engel

• 16.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 07, 2021 04:47 PM
    If an AP is not working the first step is to login to the console and check the boot logging. Sometimes when the boot image is corrupted you can fix that be re-flashing the AP from the console by using TFTP, at your own risk but helps me a couple of times out. Only use this when your very sure the boot image is corrupted.

https://acmxguy.wordpress.com/2020/05/06/aruba-iap-ap-boot-image-upgrade/

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 17.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

Posted Nov 12, 2021 06:07 AM

For some time a small site of our company was connected to our main site with the use of a Aruba 303H Remote Access Point.

I connected them to our Aruba 7010 controller, pushed the right configuration and everything worked fine.

Some days ago we hooked this small site to a dark fiber interconnect connection, so the RAP's are no longer needed.

At some offices at our main site people experience weak Wi-Fi connections.

As far as I know, it should be possible to configure the 303H as IAP, so I tried to perform a factory reset.

I disconnected the power supply, I connected port E0, pushed the reset button and while holding in the reset button, I started the 303H.

The system led turned from red to three short green flashes to a green 1 sec on / off pulse.

I expected to see an Aruba SSID, from which I could configure the 303H. That did not happened.

Disconnecting the E0 and connecting E1 did not help as well. The 303H did not show up in DHCP as well.

I know that there's a custom Aruba USB console cable to enter the device through the console, but I'm quite sure it can be done through the GUI a well.

It's been bothering me now for hours, so I hope someone here knows a solution.

Thank in advance !

Jillian Corvus

• 18.  RE: AP-303H will not boot, will not factory reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2021 12:37 PM
    Hard to guess what's going on without console output, but if properly factory reset and without other Instant or AOS systems on the same network, the AP should start transmitting the Setmeup SSID.

Onno Harms