Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

335AP -> IAP doable?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  335AP -> IAP doable?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 08, 2023 09:13 AM

Hi, 
    I have an AP335 that id like to convert to an IAP. ( currently connected to an 8.10.0.6 MM/MC setup.  Tried using the reset button during  a reboot, led flashed 5 times and now its just stuck trying to find a controller ( remived all the dhcp entries that pointed it at our  controller).

Given that it didnt reset back to  IAP, what's my options? Command lime on console, define a tftp server and  pull latest supported  IAP code via tftp ?

or does it have to be an IAP 335 to start with?
    A

• 2.  RE: 335AP -> IAP doable?

Posted May 08, 2023 12:19 PM

The 335 was one of the Aruba APs that had a different hardware SKUs separating IAP-AP.  from CAP-AP functionality.
    However, in MC code 8.6 Aruba Introduced the "ap convert" command. (This was to assist customer onboarding to Central)
    "ap convert" can be run on specific AP currently managed by an MC, and the process will direct the AP to a tftp server. 
    ap convert (arubanetworks.com)

------------------------------
    If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 3.  RE: 335AP -> IAP doable?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2023 05:40 AM

You can't just load Instant firmware to APs that are AP model, not Instant.
    Where IAP models have a country code 'burn in', the AP models don't, and for that reason the AP does not know what model it is (US/RW/etc).
    The suggested ap-convert method is designed to use with AOS10, and will result in an unsupported AP, except when used for that purpose.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: 335AP -> IAP doable?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 10, 2023 06:49 AM
    Ok many thanks

Sent from my iPhone