Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

Posted Sep 07, 2022 11:00 AM
    Hi,
    I am fairly sure this isn't the expected behaviour, but on our new Aruba wifi, when an access point is down it just disappears from the list rather than its status changing to down. I'm pretty sure I don't have any filters set. Additionally, the pie chart never shows any down APs either. Thoughts?

Software
    8.10.0.2_84367 (LSR)
    Model
    ArubaMC-VA

------------------------------
    Kind regards,
    Alex

• 2.  RE: Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

MVP
    Posted Sep 07, 2022 11:37 AM

Are you in a cluster environment with a mobility conductor?

That is my case, and if I look at the web gui for an individual controller, I see what you describe - 0 down APs in the top banner, and 0 down APs in the "pie chart."  You must look at the gui of the conductor. Which in my case when I do, I see a "Down AP" button in the banner, and also the pie chart there reflects down APs (Managed Network->Dashboard->Infrastructure).

• 3.  RE: Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

Posted Sep 08, 2022 03:42 AM
    It seems to me, unless I am misunderstanding, that at both levels (Mobility Controller or the Controller Name) I see the same behaviour. As soon as I disconnect an AP, it disappears from the list

Kind regards,
    Alex

• 4.  RE: Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

Posted Sep 09, 2022 01:46 AM
    Hi!

It would be interesting to see if this is just a GUI issue or if it actually disappears from the gap-db list viewed in the CLI. Try logging in to the mobility conductor and issue: show ap database long

See if it´s listed there as down or if it´s disappeared. I would not expect a down AP to disappear from the gap-db of the conductor. I could however expect a GUI bug :)

Cheers,
    Chris

Network Architect @ Aranya AB
    CWNE #306 ACMX #537

• 5.  RE: Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

Posted Sep 09, 2022 03:18 AM
    You're quite right. It does show in the database as down, so it would appear it is a bug with the GUI...

Kind regards,
    Alex

• 6.  RE: Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2022 07:35 AM
    If you recently upgraded, try clearing your browser cache.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 7.  RE: Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

Posted Sep 13, 2022 05:52 AM
    This was a new install, however, I've tried cleaning the cache and it hasn't helped.

Kind regards,
    Alex

• 8.  RE: Access points don't show as "Down", just disappear

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 05:55 PM
    It is listed as a known issue in 8.10.0.3 https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS/Consolidated_8.x_RN/Content/8.10/03/Known_8.10.0.3.htm
    "The Dashboard > Infrastructure > Access Devices page of the WebUI does not display the correct status of APs that are down. However, CLI displays the correct number of APs that are down. This issue is observed in Mobility Conductors running ArubaOS 8.10.0.0 or later versions."

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card