Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi everyone,

I have provisioned 2 new AOS8 Controllers in two different DC, each one in a different subnet. I want them to be redundant and DB synchroniced.

Is there anyw option to do so? I have discarted the VRRP option as they are in two different L3 nets. I'm managing the LMS-BackupLMS IP idea, but is there any other option to do it?

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago
    What are you using the db for?   Does it need to be synchronized?  Typical controller redundancy across subnets would involve just setting the backup LMS in the AP system profile of your access points.  Your clients would have to reauthenticate, so if they are using 802.1x they might have a chance to recover.  This should be tested, of course.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

Posted 17 days ago
    So if i would use the LMS IP, both local controllers should be configured as Active-Standby? So the configuration is only performed in the Active one and the Standby is synchronized?

• 4.  RE: Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago
    I assume you  are using AOS 8.  If you don't have an MM, you would have to synchronize the configuration manually.  You cannot set active-standby unless you can do a VRRP.  If you have two controllers in two different datacenters, it would be worth getting an MM for its enterprise features like configuration synchronization.

Without knowing the details of your installation:  If you have a single site, it would probably be best to have two controllers at the same physical site with a VRRP between them for redundancy  Why?  Because you want controllers as close to the access points for performance reasons and if there is a failure in one of the controllers it potentially would be seamless to your users.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

Posted 16 days ago
    So as the configuration should be synchronized manually on both AOS8 Controllers, the licenses should the duplicated too? As in an MM scheme the licenses are in the MM and would be served in both controllers, in my case that both controllers does not have an MM and the yare Standalone, the licenses should be purchased for both controllers too?

• 6.  RE: Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 16 days ago
    I would speak to an Aruba sales professional to design and quote the right solution for you.  What you are attempting is not typical and there are benefits and drawbacks that need to be worked out

With regards to licensing, you could point one controller at another for all licenses so that you do not have to duplicate.  I would check with the Aruba Sales Professional to see if it would work with your design

• 7.  RE: Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

Posted 16 days ago
    Thanks for the info!

In the case that these two Standalone controllers could be installed in the same subnet, then, they could form a Cluster so the config should not need to be manually sync and the licenses whould then be shared across the two controllers right?

• 8.  RE: Aruba Controller Redundancy in different subnets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 16 days ago
    If you install them in the same subnet, you can do "master redundancy" where the configuration will be synchronized and the licenses would be shared.  Only a single controller at a time would be able to service access points because it would be an active/standby configuration.  Whatever controller is the master for the vrrp would be active.