Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring VSF between two 5400r switches using two redundant links

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Configuring VSF between two 5400r switches using two redundant links

Posted Nov 01, 2022 01:39 AM
    Dear All,

We have two 5400R zl2 switches and each 5400R has two line cards (A and B). We are planning to connect these two switches from two DAC cables and configure VSF from each line cards. But we are able to add only one VSF link and when we are trying add second link, we get invalid command error. I tried below commands.

vsf member 1 link 1 a8
    vsf member 1 link 2 b8
    vsf enable domain 1

Switch only takes 1st and 3r commands only. It doesnot take second command.

I would really appreciate if you can help with this issue ASAP.

Thank you,
    Gayan

• 2.  RE: Configuring VSF between two 5400r switches using two redundant links

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2022 03:01 AM
    Hi,

Check if A8 and B8 meet following requirements:

- Must be 10Gbps/40Gbps. 1Gbps links are not supported.
    - A VSF link can only comprise ports with the same speed; either all 10G or all 40G

------------------------------
    Ivan Bondar
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Configuring VSF between two 5400r switches using two redundant links

Posted Nov 01, 2022 03:49 AM
    Dear Ivan,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

We have connected these two switches using DAC cables and checked interfaces using show interface breif command and all ports are operating in 10G mode. I was able to issue below commands and form the VSF.

Sw1 
    vsf member 1 link 1 a8,b8
    vsf enable domain 1

Sw2

vsf member 2 link 1 a8,b8
    vsf enable domain 1

Now the virtual switch is forming. But only B8 link pair is green and other A8 link pair is orange. When I remove B8 link pair the A8 pair is not becoming operational i.e. stays orange and configurations are not getting synced.

Really appreciate if some one can help me on this.

Thank You,
    Gayan

• 4.  RE: Configuring VSF between two 5400r switches using two redundant links

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 01, 2022 07:07 AM
    Hi Gayan, could you post the sanitized output of show tech transceivers and show vsf link detailsCLI commands?

Strange, I expected on the VSF Member 1 (Conductor) to see executed a command like this:

vsf member 1 link 1 1/A8,1/B8

to form the VSF logical link and the same corresponding command on the VSF Member 2 (Standby) - vsf member 2 link 1 1/A8,1/B8 - the latter will reboot and ports automatically change naming into 2/A8 and 2/B8 to form the VSF Link of 20Gbps aggregated speed.

Technically speaking the additional pair of B8 ports on both VSF Members could be added in a later moment so you can just start with a pair of A8 ports.

Edit:

I here imply 8 ports SFP+ modules installed on Slot A and B of both Aruba 5400R zl2 have the same v3 zl2 SKU:

Aruba 8-port 1G/10GbE SFP+ MACsec v3 zl2 Module (J9993A)

since the other v2 zl SKU (HPE 8-port 10GbE SFP+ v2 zl Module (J9538A)) will not work on VSF because VSF requires v3 zl2 Modules to operate both chassis in v3-only mode of operation (v3 mode of operation disables any v2 zl Modules eventually installed).