Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Connecting a single Sonicwall NSa 6700 to a VSX 8325 core

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Connecting a single Sonicwall NSa 6700 to a VSX 8325 core

Posted Jun 05, 2023 04:54 PM
      |   view attached

I'm trying to wrap my head around the best or correct way to configure the upstream connectivity between my Aruba 8325 VSX core pair and my single Sonicwall NSa 6700 firewall.  I have mc-lags to my downstream access stacks working, but am not sure what my choices are for the upstream connection to my firewall.  This is just a two-tier network with no aggregation layer.  Right now I have two 40G DAC cables going from my LAN X32 and X33 interfaces (aggregated) on my SonicWall to each of my two core switches (interface 1/1/52 on each).  Right now, the L2 discovery on my SonicWall shows each of the 8325 switches they are connected to and the 1/1/52 interface are both up on the 8325s, but it is showing an LACP block on each of the 8325 switches for the vlan lag 254 interfaces.  Currently my LAN IP on the Sonicwall is 10.1.254.254.

Following is the configuration I have on each of the two core switches:

interface lag 254 multi-chassis
        description VSX LAG 254 (Sonicwall LAN)
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 254
        lacp mode active
        loop-protect
        loop-protect vlan 254

interface 1/1/52
        description Lag Port (Sonicwall LAN)
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        lag 254

interface vlan 254
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        ip mtu 9198
        ip address 10.1.254.2/24 (10.1.254.3/24 for secondary)
        active-gateway ip mac 12:01:00:00:01:00
        active-gateway ip 10.1.254.1

• 2.  RE: Connecting a single Sonicwall NSa 6700 to a VSX 8325 core

Posted Jun 06, 2023 02:15 AM

The LACP block is the focus here, the L3 interface is not in play until that is resolved. The block means LACP hasn't formed successfully and so checking the sonicwall end is where I would start. The CX config looks fine. 

Double check vlans are the same on all three configs. Check you have admin up on all three. 

Maybe check you have a good sonicwall config by creating a non mclag on one cx, connect with just that one cable. If simple box to box lacp fails then the complication of mclag won't. 

• 3.  RE: Connecting a single Sonicwall NSa 6700 to a VSX 8325 core

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 07, 2023 07:16 AM

On your VSX what's the (sanitized) output of these two commands (related to lag254 and its member interfaces on Primary and Secondary VSX)?

show lacp interfaces multi-chassis

show lacp interfaces multi-chassis 1/1/52

Then would be interesting to understand what's the main reason for having such VSX LAG interface operating in "access mode" (with a Native VLAN id = Port VLAN ID = VLAN id 254, implying that that interface is an "untagged member" of the VLAN id 254) instead of - maybe - being an interface operating in "trunk mode" which is something typically used when interconnecting to peering switches/appliances (but here I mean "trunk mode" with just the VLAN id 254 AND with that VLAN id tagged <- clearly that approach would make sense IF-AND-ONLY-IF the peering logical interface - the aggregation of X32 and X33 - configured on the Sonicwall NSa 6700 Firewall side is also only tagged with the VLAN id 254).

Something like:

interface lag 254 multi-chassis
        description "to Sonicwall NSa 6700 Firewall"
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 254 tag
        vlan trunk allowed 254
        lacp mode active
    exit

• 4.  RE: Connecting a single Sonicwall NSa 6700 to a VSX 8325 core

Posted Jun 07, 2023 02:19 PM

I ran the following two commands with interface lag 254 configured for both access (vlan access 254) and the way you suggested (vlan trunk native 254 tag, vlan trunk allowed 254).  The command output was identical for each.

8325-CORE-1(config-lag-if)# show lacp interfaces multi-chassis

State abbreviations :

A - Active        P - Passive      F - Aggregable I - Individual

S - Short-timeout L - Long-timeout N - InSync     O - OutofSync

C - Collecting    D - Distributing

X - State m/c expired              E - Default neighbor state

Actor details of all interfaces:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intf       Aggregate  Port    Port     State   System-ID         System   Aggr

name       id      Priority                           Priority Key

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/1/52     lag254(mc) 52      1        ALFOE   02:02:00:00:01:00 65534    254

Partner details of all interfaces:

Intf       Aggregate  Partner Port     State   System-ID         System   Aggr

name       Port-id Priority                           Priority Key

1/1/52     lag254(mc) 0       0        PLFOEX  00:00:00:00:00:00 0        0

Remote Actor details of all interfaces:

Intf       Aggregate  Port    Port     State   System-ID         System   Aggr

name       id      Priority                           Priority Key

1/1/52     lag254(mc) 1052    1        IE      02:02:00:00:01:00 65534    254

Remote Partner details of all interfaces:

Intf       Aggregate  Partner Port     State   System-ID         System   Aggr          

name       Port-id Priority                           Priority Key

1/1/52     lag254(mc) 0       0        IE      00:00:00:00:00:00 0        0

8325-CORE-1(config-lag-if)# show lacp interfaces multi-chassis 1/1/52

State abbreviations :

A - Active        P - Passive      F - Aggregable I - Individual

S - Short-timeout L - Long-timeout N - InSync     O - OutofSync

C - Collecting    D - Distributing

X - State m/c expired              E - Default neighbor state

Aggregate-name : lag254(multi-chassis)

-------------------------------------------------

Actor             Partner

-------------------------------------------------

Port-id            | 52                 | 0

Port-priority      | 1                  | 0

Key                | 254                | 0

State              | ALFOE              | PLFOEX

System-ID          | 02:02:00:00:01:00  | 00:00:00:00:00:00

System-priority    | 65534              | 0

• 5.  RE: Connecting a single Sonicwall NSa 6700 to a VSX 8325 core

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 07, 2023 02:40 PM
    Are you sure about the LACP LAG on the Sonicwall NSa 6700 side?
    To me it seems far from being good enough since ALFOE and PLFOEX states say so (no matter the "operating mode" - access versus trunk - you would then use on both sides for both logical interfaces).
    A diagnostic on Sonicwall side about its LAG (LACP) would be of help, at this point.
    Edit: Aruba VSX side, what's the output of:
    switch config-validator mode vsx-sync