Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

CX Management Interface - How to connect?

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  CX Management Interface - How to connect?

Posted Apr 29, 2023 06:56 PM

I'm embarrassed to ask this question but if I have a Stack of 6300M switches connected in a closet with fiber uplinks to the distribution switches across campus...   What do I connect the management interface to being as its a copper port?   

Do I need a separate management switch also uplinked with fiber to the core or can I use the ports from my 6300m stack with a dedicated management vlan? 

Also is there a way to access the GUI of the switch without using the management interface?

And finally I want to enable split detection on my stack.  I read in the best practices that I need to enable my management ports and either connect them to the network or run a direct cable between them.  If I run a cable between them do I need to put IPs on them?

• 2.  RE: CX Management Interface - How to connect?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 30, 2023 04:32 PM

For management you can use the Out-of-Band-Management (OOBM) interface (RJ45) or create an in VLAN with an IP address assigned in the default VRF.

Example OOBM:

# config
    (config)# interface mgmt
    (config-if-mgmt)# ip static 172.16.200.94/24
    (config-if-mgmt)# default-gateway 172.16.200.254
    (config-if-mgmt)# end
    # write mem

Example In-Band (vlan 10):

#config
    (config)#vlan 10
    (config)#interface Vlan-interface10
    (config)#description Management
    (config)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

(config)#ip route-static 0.0.0.0 0 192.168.1.254

//Add vlan 10 to your fiber uplink//

Enable SSH and HTTPS:

https-server vrf mgmt
    https-server vrf default

ssh server vrf mgmt
    ssh server vrf default

For multi active detection (MAD) see the user guide: https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/lms/14/2/ArubaOS%20VSF%20Configuration%20Guide.pdf

------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: CX Management Interface - How to connect?

Posted May 02, 2023 04:10 AM

Hi, I have been using switches with dedicated management ports for over twenty years and I've never once connected one. Every design has had all management access "inline" meaning the traffic uses the same paths as user traffic. Using the dedicated management port is a choice which is right for some designs but is definitely not required.