Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

instant AP to Campus AP legacy-mode parameter configuration

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  instant AP to Campus AP legacy-mode parameter configuration

Posted Jan 19, 2023 09:34 AM
    Hi all,

I have an instant wi-fi solution version 8.9

I made the convertion to Campus with an ArubaOS_VMC_8.10 Standalone Virtual Mobillity Controller.

In the instant solution I had the parameter legacy-mode enable : with this parameter enabled old clients (windows 7 or 8 ) were able to connect to the wi-fi.

I know they are old clients but I need to let them connect to the wi-fi.
    Can you help me to replicate the configuration of legacy-mode parameter on the Virtual Mobilty Controller.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: instant AP to Campus AP legacy-mode parameter configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2023 05:43 AM
    The legacy mode in Aruba Instant disables 802.11n and falls back to 802.11a and 802.11g radios. This should not have anything to do with Windows 7/8 clients being able to connect. You could disable HT (and VHT) in the radio profile to switch to legacy mode; but it's highly unlikely that you would need that or want that.

What is the authentication/encryption that you use for the SSID?

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: instant AP to Campus AP legacy-mode parameter configuration

Posted Jan 26, 2023 09:40 AM
    Thank you for your contribution.

? What is the authentication/encryption that you use for the SSID?

From (Standalone-AOS8-VMC) [mynode] #show wlan ssid-profile SSID-xxx_ssid_prof
    Encryption: wpa-psk-tkip wpa2-psk-aes

• 4.  RE: instant AP to Campus AP legacy-mode parameter configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2023 12:21 PM
    That should work without issue with Windows 7 clients. I would recommend to remove wpa-psk-tkip if you don't have really old clients that use it.

On the Windows 7 clients, if the SSID is already configured, try to remove it (forget network) and connect again to use the actual encryption settings. It may be that they stored old/insecure network encryption when they were connected to the old 8.9 Instant network.

If that doesn't help, it may be good to work with your Aruba partner or Aruba support as this is very basic configuration and should work without any issues.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: instant AP to Campus AP legacy-mode parameter configuration

Posted Jan 27, 2023 03:03 AM
    Thank you,

I'll do some tests and post to let you all know.

• 6.  RE: instant AP to Campus AP legacy-mode parameter configuration

Posted Feb 17, 2023 12:57 PM

Hi all,

as per your information.

With a quite old Windows 7 client I disable 802.11n (High Throughput) and it worked

I also tested with a very old Window XP client and it worked with : 802.11n disable and with wpa-psk-tkip (this was just for test).

Of course I agree to pay attention to security and do not use old encryption standards.

Thank you for your suggestions